ⓘ Free online encyclopedia. Did you know? page 72

Brandier

Brandier is a hamlet in north Wiltshire, England, near Minety. Sometimes included as a part of Upper Minety. Until the Counties Act of 1844, it was in Gloucestershire. Brandier has historically been the site of extensive Roman kilns and pottery w ...

Brixton Deverill

Brixton Deverill is a small village and civil parish about 4 miles south of Warminster in Wiltshire, England. The arrival in the valley Deverill, which carries in the upper reaches of the river Wiley is waiting for you. Six villages of the valley ...

Broad Hinton and Winterbourne Bassett

Broad Hinton and Winterbourne Bassett is a parish council area comprising the adjacent civil parishes of Broad Hinton and Winterbourne Bassett, in the English county of Wiltshire. In two counties to elect one grouped parish Council. They fall wit ...

Brokenborough

Brokenborough is a village and civil parish about 1 ⁄ 2 miles northwest of Malmesbury, Wiltshire in England. The course of the Fosse Way Roman road forms the northwest boundary of the parish, and also the county boundary with neighbouring Glouces ...

Brunton, Wiltshire

Brunton is a hamlet adjacent to the village of Collingbourne Kingston in Wiltshire, England. Records of Bruntons existence date back to the 10th century, under Saxon ownership, and it is near the sites of several barrows. The estate was formerly ...

Bushton, Wiltshire

In 1086, the Domesday Book recorded an estate at Bushton, held by the Bishop of Winchester. By the 17th century the manor of Bushton had become a tithing of Clyffe Pypard parish. Pamphlette and poet Ralph Broome 1742-1835 was born and raised in t ...

Calcutt, Wiltshire

Calcutt is a hamlet about 3 ⁄ 4 mile east of Cricklade in Wiltshire, England. It lies near the River Thames and is divided by the A419 Swindon-Cricklade-Cirencester road. Key river passes close to the West of the village and joins the Thames just ...

Calne Without

Calne Without is a civil parish in Wiltshire, England. It is a rural parish surrounding the town of Calne, extending west to the Avon and south to the Roman road from London to Bath. Settlements in the parish are the village of Derry Hill, the sm ...

Calstone

Calstone is a hamlet in Wiltshire, England, 2 miles southeast of Calne and adjacent to Calstone Wellington. Land to the northwest is known as Theobalds Green. For ecclesiastical purposes the parish is part of the benefice of Oldbury, along with C ...

Chapel Plaister

Chapel Plaister is a hamlet in Wiltshire, England. It lies on the B3109 road between Corsham and Bradford on Avon, about 1 mile southeast of the village of Box and 2.5 miles southwest of the town of Corsham. The village got its name from a small ...

Charlcutt

Charlcutt is a hamlet in the county of Wiltshire, England, 3 miles northwest of Calne. It is part of the civil parish of Bremhill. Charlcutt is home to twenty families spread to an area of one mile along the ridge of the hill. Unusually, Charlcut ...

Charlton and Wilsford

Charlton and Wilsford is the area of a grouped parish council serving the two civil parishes of Charlton and Wilsford, in the English county of Wiltshire. Charlton and Wilsford, to elect one parish Council. They fall within the scope of Council W ...

Charlton, Brinkworth

Charlton is a village and civil parish in North Wiltshire, England, about 2 miles northeast of Malmesbury and 4 miles northwest of the village of Brinkworth. The parish includes the hamlet of Perry Green and the Charlton Park estate. The 2011 Cen ...

Chicklade

Chicklade is a small village and civil parish in Wiltshire, South West England. The village is on the A303 road, about 7 miles south of Warminster. The parish includes the hamlet of Upper Pertwood. Great ridge wood, formerly known as Chicklade wo ...

Chippenham Without

Chippenham Without is a civil parish in Wiltshire, England, created as a separate entity from the parish of Chippenham by the Local Government Act 1894 and largely consisting of farmland to the west of Chippenham towards Biddestone. Of note withi ...

Chisbury

Chisbury is a hamlet and prehistoric hill fort in the civil parish of Little Bedwyn in Wiltshire, England. Chisbury is about 4 miles west of Hungerford and about 6 miles south-east of Marlborough.

Clatford

Clatford is a small hamlet approximately 1 mile west of the village of Manton and about 2 miles west of Marlborough, which is the nearest town, in Wiltshire, England. It is just south of the River Kennet and the A4 primary route. At the beginning ...

The Common, Wiltshire

The Common is a hamlet within the parish of Winterslow in Wiltshire, England. The nearest town is Salisbury, which lies approximately 6.5 miles to the southwest. The hamlet is situated just east from Salisbury Plain and is in the North Wessex Dow ...

Conkwell

Conkwell is a hamlet in Winsley parish, Wiltshire, England, near the county border of North East Somerset. It is about 2.3 miles west of Bradford on Avon and 3 miles southeast of the city of Bath. The settlement was established to house the worke ...

Corston, Wiltshire

Corston is a small village on the A429 road in Wiltshire, England, approximately 3 miles south of the town of Malmesbury, Wiltshire. The Gauze Brook, a tributary of the Bristol Avon passes through the village. It is in the civil parish of St. Pau ...

Covingham

Covingham is an urban village and civil parish in Wiltshire, England, now part of the built-up area of the Borough of Swindon. It was developed in the middle 1960s as part of Swindons eastward expansion towards the A419. The estate is exclusively ...

Dorcan

Dorcan is an area in the east of Swindon, Wiltshire, England, located close to the A419. The population of Dorcan constituency taken at the 2011 census was 8.684. Taking its name from the nearby Dorkerne now Dorcan brook, Dorcan is located in the ...

Faberstown

Faberstown is a housing estate in the civil parish of Ludgershall, Wiltshire, England. Its nearest town is Andover, approximately 6 miles to the southeast. At the beginning of the 20th century, the local member of Parliament, Walter Faber, began ...

Fishers Brook

Fishers Brook is a small hamlet in Wiltshire, England, with a population of approximately 25 residents. It is essentially a small collection of houses situated just to the south of Fishers Brook bridge. The brook itself flows into the River Marde ...

Fonthill Lake

Fonthill Lake is a lake in southwest Wiltshire, England. In Fonthill Creek flows from the southern tip of the lake and flows into the river nadder at Tisbury, 2 miles 1 mile to the South-East. It lies just to the South of the village Fonthill Bis ...

Ford, Wiltshire

Ford is a small village located in the northwest of Wiltshire, England. The village is on the A420 road, 4 miles west of Chippenham and 11 miles east of Bristol. Ford is the second largest village in the parish of North Wraxall, a collection of f ...

Fosbury

Fosbury is a small village in Wiltshire, England, on the eastern edge of the county, near Hampshire. It is about 11 miles southeast of Marlborough and 7 miles south of Hungerford, Berkshire. With few inhabitants, it forms part of the civil parish ...

Franks Wood

Franks Wood is a woodland in Wiltshire, England, near the village of Colerne. It covers a total area of 1.92 hectares. It is owned and managed by the Woodland Trust.

Fyfield and West Overton

Fyfield and West Overton is a joint parish council for the parishes of Fyfield and West Overton, in the English county of Wiltshire. He gets into the area of Wiltshire Council unitary authority, which is responsible for all of the important funct ...

Goatacre

Goatacre is a village in the English county of Wiltshire, about 4 miles north of Calne and 1 mile south of Lyneham on the A3102 road. It is in the parish of Hilmarton and the closest major town is Swindon, some 10 miles to the northeast. The haml ...

Gomeldon

Gomeldon is a small village in the valley of the River Bourne in Wiltshire, England, in the civil parish of Idmiston. It lies about 5 miles northeast of Salisbury, between Winterbourne Gunner and Porton, and as of 2012 its population was estimate ...

Great Ridge Wood

Great Ridge Wood, formerly also known as Chicklade Wood, is one of the largest woodlands in southern Wiltshire, England. Mostly within the parishes of Boyton and Sherrington, and entirely within the Cranborne Chase and West Wiltshire Downs Area o ...

Hazelbury, Wiltshire

Hazelbury is a former village in the civil parish of Box, Wiltshire, England. It was about 0.5 miles southeast of the present-day village of Box and 3 miles southwest of the town of Corsham. There was a Roman Villa. Hazelbury was recorded in the ...

Hodson, Wiltshire

Hodson is an unspoilt hamlet in a small valley, in the parish of Chiseldon, Wiltshire, England. The hamlet lies about half a mile northwest of the edge of Chiseldon village, the M4 motorway runs a similar distance to the north, and the centre of ...

Hook, Wiltshire

Hook is a small village in Wiltshire, England between the town of Royal Wootton Bassett and the village of Purton, just north of the M4 motorway. The village lies about 4 1 ⁄ 2 miles west of the centre of Swindon, in the civil parish of Lydiard T ...

Horpit

Horpit is an agricultural hamlet in the parish of Wanborough in the north-eastern corner of Wiltshire county, England. Horpit clay lies in the valley North-West of the Marlborough downs.

Huish, Wiltshire

Huish is a small village and civil parish in Wiltshire, England, 2 miles northwest of Pewsey and 4 miles southwest of Marlborough. It is on the south-facing edge of the Marlborough Downs, where the downs adjoin the Vale of Pewsey.

Kellaways

Kellaways, also known as Tytherton Kellaways, is a village and former ecclesiastical parish in the present-day civil parish of Langley Burrell and ceremonial county of Wiltshire, England. Its nearest town is Chippenham, which lies 2.5 miles south ...

Kingsdown, Box

Kingsdown is a hamlet in the civil parish of Box, Wiltshire, England. It is about 1.5 miles southwest of Box and 1.2 miles east of Bathford, across the county border in Somerset. There is a pub, the Swan INN. Kingsdown Golf course is located on a ...

Landford

Landford is a village and civil parish 10 miles southeast of Salisbury in Wiltshire, England. To the south and east of the parish is the county of Hampshire and the New Forest National Park. The parish includes the small village of Nomansland and ...

Leigh, Wiltshire

Leigh is a village and civil parish in north Wiltshire, England, 1.5 miles southeast of Ashton Keynes and 2.5 miles west of Cricklade. It is on the edge of the Cotswold Water Park and near to the county border with Gloucestershire. The parish inc ...

Liddington

Liddington is a village and civil parish near Swindon in Wiltshire, England. The settlement lies southeast of Swindon town, close to junction 15 of the M4 motorway, which is approximately 2 miles away via the B4192. The parish was an area of sett ...

Little Cheverell

Little Cheverell is a small village and civil parish in Wiltshire, England. In some sources the Latinized name of Cheverell Parva is used, especially when referring to the parish. The village lies on the B3098 Westbury–West Lavington road, which ...

Little Woodbury

Little Woodbury is the name of an important Iron Age archaeological site near the city of Salisbury in the English county of Wiltshire. The site is located about 1 ⁄ 4 miles, 2.0 km to the South of Salisbury city centre and 1 mile 1.6 km to the N ...

Lower Chicksgrove

Lower Chicksgrove is a hamlet on the north bank of the River Nadder in the south of the county of Wiltshire, England. It is about 2 miles east of Tisbury and 10 miles west of Salisbury. The settlement is recorded in the 12th century as Chicksgrov ...

Maddington, Wiltshire

Maddington is a small settlement and former civil parish on Salisbury Plain in Wiltshire, England. It is on the River Till. Its nearest town is Amesbury, about 6 miles to the southeast. During the Domesday book of 1086, the manor was held of the ...

Marston Meysey

Marston Meysey, pronounced and sometimes also spelt Marston Maisey, is a village and civil parish in Wiltshire, England, lying 3 miles northeast of Cricklade on the county boundary with Gloucestershire. The parish includes the hamlet of Marston H ...

Marston, Wiltshire

Marston is a small village and civil parish 4 miles southwest of Devizes in Wiltshire, England. The parish lies south of Worton, away from main roads. Much of the boundary with Worton follows the Bulkington Brook, a tributary of the Semington Bro ...

Martinsell Hill

Martinsell Hill, located near Oare north of Pewsey, is the third highest point in the county of Wiltshire, southwest England, at some 289 m / 948 ft above sea level. It is the location of an Iron Age hillfort.

Mile Elm

Mile Elm is a hamlet in central Wiltshire, England, with a population of around 40 residents. It is situated on the A3102 road 1.5 miles southwest of the town of Calne. There was a farm at Mile End in 1728, the area to the East of the road was th ...