ⓘ Free online encyclopedia. Did you know? page 55

Widford, Oxfordshire

Widford is a deserted medieval village on the River Windrush about 1.5 miles east of Burford in West Oxfordshire. The village was an exclave of Gloucestershire until 1844.

Winterbrook

Winterbrook is a small settlement in the English county of Oxfordshire, which adjoins the south end of Wallingford and sits on the west bank of the Thames. In 1974 it was transferred from Berkshire. Although having been part of the adjacent paris ...

Worsham, Oxfordshire

Worsham is a hamlet on the River Windrush about 3.5 miles west of Witney. 0.25 miles 400 m to the East of Worsham on the North side of the Windrush-the remains of a small Roman house. Further Worsham was at the historic site of watermill. The are ...

Worton (civil parish), Oxfordshire

Worton is a civil parish in the West Oxfordshire district about 7 miles south of Banbury. It was formed in 1932 by the merger of the parishes of Nether Worton and Over Worton, each of which is a small village. The main road between Deddington and ...

Worton (hamlet), Oxfordshire

The Domesday Book records that in 1086 William FitzOsbern, 1st Earl of Hereford owned the manor of Worton, and that Roger dIvry and Robert DOyly were the Earls feudal tenants. However, the 1st Earl had died in 1071 and in 1075 his heir Roger de B ...

Wytham

Wytham is a village and civil parish on the Seacourt Stream, a branch of the River Thames, about 3 miles northwest of the centre of Oxford. It is just west of the Western By-Pass Road, part of the Oxford Ring Road. The nearest village is Godstow. ...

Yelford

In 1086 the Domesday Book records that Walter of Ponz held the manor of Yelford. Walters other manors included Eaton Hastings, and together his manors were sometimes called the honour of Hastings. By 1221 the overlord of the manor was one Philip ...

Ayston

Ayston is a village and civil parish in the county of Rutland in the East Midlands of England. It is about one mile north-west of Uppingham, close to the junction of the A47 and A6003. The population of the village was less than 100 at the 2011 c ...

Barrow, Rutland

Barrow is a village and civil parish in the county of Rutland in the East Midlands of England. It is located about five miles north-east of Oakham. At the 2011 census the population remained less than 100 and is included in the civil parish of Co ...

Barrowden

Barrowden is a village in Rutland in the East Midlands of England. The population of the parish amounted to 506 in the 2011 census. There is a Church, country club, medical clinic and pharmacy, shop, community, mobile library, a recreational fiel ...

Beaumont Chase

Beaumont Chase is a civil parish in the county of Rutland in the East Midlands of England. It is to the west of Uppingham, north of Stoke Dry, and on a hillside overlooking Leicestershire. Formerly an extra-parochial area, it was created a separa ...

Belton-in-Rutland

Belton-in-Rutland is a village and civil parish in the county of Rutland in the East Midlands of England. The population at the 2001 census was 345 increasing to 348 at the 2011 census. It is situated about six miles southwest of Oakham and about ...

Braunston-in-Rutland

Braunston-in-Rutland is a village and civil parish in the county of Rutland in the East Midlands of England. The population of the civil parish was 392 at the 2001 census, including Brooke and increasing to 502 at the 2011 census. Leicestershire ...

Caldecott, Rutland

Caldecott is a village in the county of Rutland in the East Midlands of England. The civil parish population was 256 at the 2001 census increasing to 269 at the 2011 census. It is located about four miles south of Uppingham and about 4 miles nort ...

Cottesmore, Rutland

Cottesmore is a village and civil parish in the north of the county of Rutland in the East Midlands of England. In terms of population it is the largest village in Rutland, and the third-largest settlement after Oakham and Uppingham. This is due ...

Egleton

Egleton is a small village and civil parish in the county of Rutland in the East Midlands of England. It is situated south east of Oakham, and is close to the western shore of Rutland Water. The population of the village remained less than 100 at ...

Hambleton Peninsula

The Hambleton Peninsula lies within the reservoir Rutland Water, in Rutland, England. When the Gwash Valley was dammed in 1975, the area surrounding what was then a ridge were submerged, including a small number of properties in the hamlets of Ne ...

Horn, Rutland

Horn is a former civil parish, now in the parish of Exton and Horn, in the county of Rutland in the East Midlands of England. In 2001 it had a population of 9, which was included in the civil parish of Empingham at the 2011 census. The parish is ...

Lyddington

Lyddington is a village in the county of Rutland in the East Midlands of England. The population of the civil parish was 397 at the 2001 census, which had fallen to 366 at the 2011 census. House uppingham trouble, was owned by English heritage an ...

Lyndon, Rutland

Lyndon is a small village in the county of Rutland in the East Midlands of England. The population of the civil parish was 80 at the 2001 census, increasing to 124 at the 2011 census. There are three grade II* listed buildings in the parish Churc ...

Manton, Rutland

Manton is a village in the county of Rutland in the East Midlands of England. It is situated southwest of Rutland Water. The population of the civil parish at the 2001 census was 364, and after including Gunthorpe decreased slightly to 359 at the ...

Martinsthorpe

Martinsthorpe is a civil parish in the county of Rutland in the East Midlands of England. It is located about four miles 6 km South of Oakham near the village of Manton. It is the site of a deserted medieval village. Martinsthorpe is the only par ...

Normanton, Rutland

Normanton is a village and civil parish on the eastern shore of Rutland Water in the county of Rutland in the East Midlands of England. The population remained less than 100 at the 2011 census and was included in the civil parish of Edith Weston. ...

Pilton, Rutland

Pilton is a small village and civil parish in the county of Rutland in the East Midlands of England. The population of the village was 39 at the 2001 census. This remained less than 100 and was included in the civil parish of Lyndon. Its a mile o ...

Preston, Rutland

Preston is a village and civil parish in the county of Rutland in the East Midlands of England. It lies north of Uppingham on the A6003 to Oakham. The population at the 2001 census was 179 falling slightly to 173 at the 2011 census. Church. Peter ...

Ridlington

Ridlington is a village and civil parish in Rutland in the East Midlands of England. The population of the village was 202 at the time of the 2001 census, including Ayston, Leighfield and Wardley also increasing to 260 at the 2011 census. Church ...

Seaton, Rutland

Seaton is a village and civil parish in the county of Rutland in the East Midlands of England. The population of the civil parish was 178 at the 2001 census, including Stoke Dry and Thorpe by Water, increasing to 250 at the 2011 census. Nearby is ...

Stoke Dry

Stoke Dry is a village and civil parish in the county of Rutland in the East Midlands of England, about three miles southwest of Uppingham. In 2007 it had a population of 39. In the 2011 census the population was less than 100 and was included in ...

Teigh

Teigh is a village and civil parish in the county of Rutland in the East Midlands of England. The population of the village was 48 in the 2001 census. At the 2011 census the population remained less than 100 and was included with the civil parish ...

Thorpe by Water

Thorpe by Water is a village and civil parish in the county of Rutland in the East Midlands of England. The population at the 2001 Census was 56. At the 2011 Census the population remained less than 100 and is included in the civil parish of Seaton.

Tixover

Tixover is a small village and civil parish in Rutland. The population of the civil parish at the 2001 census was 174, falling to 163 at the 2011 census. Parish on the river Welland, which forms the boundary with Northamptonshire. Most of the hou ...

Vale of Catmose

The Vale of Catmose is an area of relatively low-lying land, much of which is flooded by Rutland Water, in western Rutland, England. At Catmose College, 1972 - 2009 Vale of Catmose College is a school located in Oakham. Catmose name of branch Cou ...

Wardley, Rutland

Wardley is a village and civil parish in the county of Rutland in the East Midlands of England. The population at the 2001 census was 32. At the 2011 census the population remained less than 100 and is included in the civil parish of Ridlington. ...

Whitwell, Rutland

Whitwell is a village and civil parish in the county of Rutland in the East Midlands of England. The population at the 2001 census was 41. At the 2011 census the population remained less than 100 and was included together with the neighbouring pa ...

RAF Woolfox Lodge

Royal Air Force Woolfox Lodge or more simply RAF Woolfox Lodge is a former Royal Air Force station next to the A1 road in Rutland, UK. The airfield is split between the parishes of Empingham and Greetham. It was open from 1940 until 1965.

Abcott

Abcott is a hamlet in south Shropshire, England. It is located on the West side of the river Clun and its floodplain, directly opposite the village of Clungunford, which parish the hamlet is part of. B4367 road crosses the Clun at Clungunford bri ...

Abdon, Shropshire

Abdon is a remote rural hamlet on the slopes of the Brown Clee Hill. The population currently stands at approx. 28 dwellings. The hamlet includes a parish church St Margarets, a village hall and the remains of a deserted medieval village. The ham ...

Ackleton

Ackleton is a village in the English county of Shropshire. Located about seven miles 11 km from the market town of Bridgnorth, this village is home to two pubs and restaurants red cow and Folly. Convenient to both Wolverhampton and Telford, this ...

Acton Burnell

Acton Burnell is a village and parish in the English county of Shropshire. Home to Concord College, it is also famous for an early meeting of Parliament where the Statute merchant was passed in 1283. The population at the 2011 census was 544. Tod ...

Acton Reynald

Acton Reynald is a village in the north of Shropshire, England. The village is perhaps more of a hamlet in that it does not contain a public house, Post Office, or any other features typically associated with villages. It is in close proximity to ...

Acton Round

Acton Round is a village and civil parish in the English county of Shropshire. Acton Round was recorded in the Domesday Book as Achetune. The civil parish includes the village of Muckley.

Acton Scott

Acton Scott is a village and parish near Church Stretton in Shropshire, England. The population of the Civil Parish at the 2011 Census was 104. It lies in the Shropshire Hills area of outstanding natural beauty. The settlement was registered as A ...

Adeney

Adeney is a hamlet in the English county of Shropshire, in the civil parish of Edgmond. Her name was previously also spelt Adna, and comes from the old English name means "Eadwynnes island". It is located in the heart of the Desolation of the Moo ...

Admaston, Shropshire

Admaston is a village in the English ceremonial county of Shropshire, in the borough of Telford & Wrekin. It is located west of Wellington, and close to the village of Wrockwardine. It now forms part of the Telford new town. He has a number of sh ...

Alberbury

Alberbury is a village in Shropshire, England, 9 miles west of Shrewsbury on the B4393 road which travels from Ford to Lake Vyrnwy. It is on to the England-Wales border, marked by Princes Oak. The river Severn runs just to the North of the villag ...

Alberbury with Cardeston

Alberbury with Cardeston is a civil parish in Shropshire, England. According to the 2001 census it had a population of 645, increasing to 1.011 at the 2011 Census. It includes the villages and hamlets of Alberbury, Cardeston, Little Shrawardine, ...

Alkington, Shropshire

Alkington Hall was a late 16th-century country house, now a Grade II* listed farmhouse. It was built in two storeys of red brick with grey brick diapering and dressings of grey Sandstone cladding and plain tile and slate roofs in an L-shape layou ...

Allscott

Allscott is a small village 3 miles north west of Wellington, Shropshire. The River Tern flows by. It falls within the parish of Wrockwardine and the borough of Telford and Wrekin. Nearby is the small village of Walcot. The name derives of Aldesc ...

Angelbank

Angelbank is a small settlement in south Shropshire, England. It is situated on A4117 road between Ludlow and Cleehill, the road goes uphill to the village of clee hill, and this tilt is called the angel Bank. There is also the lane leading from ...

Annscroft

Annscroft is a small village in Shropshire, England. It is located on the Shrewsbury to Longden road, approximately 4 miles from Shrewsbury, with the nearby hamlets Arscott and hook-and-gates. Village linear village laid on the same road, in the ...