ⓘ Free online encyclopedia. Did you know? page 50

Howtel

Howtel is a village in Northumberland, England about 8 miles northwest of Wooler. The name Howtel is thought to mean Low Ground with a Holt or Wood.

Hulne Park

Hulne Park is the only one remaining of the three parks that once surrounded Alnwick Castle in Northumberland, providing wood and meat for the Percy family, the Dukes of Northumberland. The park is walled, and was landscaped by Capability Brown. ...

Ilderton, Northumberland

Ilderton is a small village in Northumberland, England. It is located on the edge of the Northumberland National Park, between Lilburn, Northumberland in the east and Hedgehope Hill in the west. Ilderton toponym first recorded in the Charter roll ...

Ingram, Northumberland

Ingram is a small village in Northumberland, England. It is located in the Cheviots on the River Breamish, and on the edge of Northumberland National Park, it houses a National Park visitor centre. The village is a Church of England Church dedica ...

Juniper, Northumberland

As an April Fools Day joke, in April 2010 the Hexham Courant reported the following: In Hexhamshire hamlet changes his name in order to cash in on millions of sixties superstar. The tiny community of juniper in the future will be known as Jennife ...

Kirkhaugh

Kirkhaugh is a very small village adjacent to the River South Tyne in Northumberland, England. The village lies close to the A689 road north of Alston, Cumbria.

Kirkheaton, Northumberland

Kirkheaton is a village in Northumberland, England. The village lies about 10 miles north east of Hexham and about 5 miles west of Belsay.

Knarsdale

Knarsdale, historically Knaresdale, is a village in Northumberland, England about 5 miles north of Alston. The village takes its name from the Knarr Burn: Knarr means rugged rock.

Kyloe

Kyloe is a civil parish in the county of Northumberland, about 8 miles south-east of Berwick-on-Tweed. The grade two-listed former St Nicholas Church in Kyloe was built in the 18th century, replacing a medieval building, now a private house. In t ...

Langley, Northumberland

Langley, or more correctly Langley-on-Tyne, is a small village in Northumberland, England, located to the west of Hexham. The village is on the A686 about 3 miles 5 km South of Haydon bridge. Horizon Langley-on-Tyne is still dominated by the melt ...

Lesbury

Lesbury is a small rural village in Northumberland in the north of England. It is built on the main coastal road 3.5 miles southeast of Alnwick, on the north bank of the River Aln. Alnmouth railway station is about half a mile away.

Lilburn, Northumberland

Lilburn is a small village in Northumberland, England. It is located in the on the edge of the Cheviots. The local farming estate is centred on Lilburn Tower. The district features a large number of earthworks and the remnants of prehistoric sett ...

Long Crag

Long Crag is a hill to the north of Rothbury in Northumberland, England. It lies within the Thrunton Woods, a Forestry Commission-owned area of forestry plantations. Thrunton woods many trails provided by the forestry Commission and there are man ...

Longframlington

Longframlington is a small village in Northumberland, England, located on the A697, 11 miles north-west of Morpeth and 5 miles south-east of Rothbury. Longframlington is a former pit village and on the site of the pit now stands Fram Park, a log ...

Longhirst

Longhirst is a village and civil parish in Northumberland, England, located approximately 2.5 miles northeast of the town of Morpeth. It originally developed as an estate village serving Longhirst Hall, a Grade II* listed building built in 1824 b ...

Low Brunton

Hadrians Wall runs just south of Low Brunton, with the remains of Brunton Turret 26b, just over 26 Roman Miles from the eastern end of the Wall at Wallsend, Newcastle upon Tyne. The turret stone tower is noted because its construction displays th ...

Low Cocklaw

Low Cocklaw is a small hamlet about 3 miles west of Berwick-upon-Tweed, England. Until the early 1980s it was a working farm but is now entirely residential. It is surrounded by rolling farmland which is dominated by cereal growing.

Low Hauxley

Low Hauxley is a small village in Northumberland, in the former Alnwick district, less than 1 mile from Amble and around 27 miles from Newcastle-upon-Tyne. It is combined with High Hauxley to make the civil parish of Hauxley. Near the village is ...

Lowick, Northumberland

Lowick is a village in Northumberland, England. It appears in records as early as 1181 as Lowich, and in 1242 as Lowyc. The name derives from Old English meaning settlement on the River Low.

Lucker

Lucker is a village in North Northumberland, England. It is about 5 miles from Bamburgh. It has an inn, The Apple Inn, and a church, St Hildas.

Lynemouth

Lynemouth is a village in Northumberland, England, 3 miles northeast of Ashington, close to the village of Ellington to the north west. It was built close to coal mines. Lynemouth and the surrounding industrial area in 1985 docudrama about seacoa ...

Matfen

Matfen is a village and a civil parish in Northumberland, England, near the town of Hexham and the city of Newcastle upon Tyne. It is an example of a 19th-century planned estate village. It was the birthplace of a Premier of British Columbia, Wil ...

Meldon, Northumberland

Meldon is a village in Northumberland, England. It lies to the west of Morpeth. The village is one of the 51 Thankful Villages in the United Kingdom that suffered no fatalities during the Great War of 1914–1918. The population of Meldon as taken ...

Melkridge

Melkridge is a village and civil parish in Northumberland, England, on the river South Tyne. The village of Melkridge is in the south of the parish, and is about two miles east of Haltwhistle along the A69 road. At the 2001 the civil parish had a ...

Mickley, Northumberland

Mickley is a small hamlet near Prudhoe and Stocksfield in the English county of Northumberland, England. It lies south of the river Tyne and is accessible via the A695. The neighbouring villages of Mickley Square and High Mickley are usually incl ...

Middle Ord

Middle Ord is a small hamlet, between West Ord and East Ord, and west of the town of Berwick upon Tweed, Northumberland England. The population as of March 2008, is nineteen residents within seven dwellings, centered on Middle Ord Manor House.

Middleton, Northumberland

Middleton is a civil parish in Northumberland, England. The parish is situated on the North Sea coast, south of the island of Lindisfarne, and contains the villages of Middleton, Ross, Detchant and Elwick, all are shrunken medieval villages. Both ...

Milbourne, Northumberland

Milbourne is a village and former civil parish 14 miles from Morpeth, now in the parish of Ponteland, in the county of Northumberland, England. In 1951 the parish had a population of 70. Milbourne has a church called Holy Saviour.

Mindrum

Mindrum is a village in Northumberland, England, in the district of Berwick-upon-Tweed. Now little more than a postal address, it forms the centre of a number of farms.

Mitford, Northumberland

Mitford was once a far greater market place for local people. Morpeths market soon grew in prominence and Mitford fell from grace. This historic status of the two market town led to a folk rhyme: Mitforde was Mitforde when Morpeth was none, and M ...

Moorside, North Tyneside

Moorside is a housing estate near Backworth and Shiremoor. It consists of a large housing estate, a few shops and a veterinary practice. There is a Catholic Church located in Moorside, although this is usually stated while in Backworth. In the ea ...

Nedderton

In the early part of the nineteenth century Nedderton village was described as containing ten houses, a few cottages and a colliery. A Church of England school was built in 1846, funded by the Earl of Carlisle, though it seems many of the childre ...

Netherton, Northumberland

Netherton is a village and civil parish in the English county of Northumberland. The population of the village at the 2011 census was 185. Are 6 1 ⁄ 2 km 10.5 km North-West of the town of Rothbury this is located near the Anglo-Scottish border. H ...

Netherwitton

Netherwitton is a village in Northumberland, England about 8 miles west of Morpeth. The former textiles factory now converted into a dwelling house, an Old village school converted to a house, the old bridge, a small Church, and a number of cotta ...

New Ridley

New Ridley is a hamlet in the county of Northumberland, England. It is in the parish of Stocksfield and the parliamentary constituency of Hexham. It is one of four "Ridleys" in the parish, along with Old Ridley, East Ridley and Ridley Mill. Servi ...

Newton on the Moor

Newton on the Moor is a village in Northumberland, England. It is located 5 miles south of Alnwick, on the old route of the A1 road although the village has now been bypassed just to the east. The village in the civil parish of Newton on the Moor ...

Newton-by-the-Sea

Newton-by-the-Sea is a civil parish in the county of Northumberland in Northern England. The parish is about 8 miles northwest of Alnwick, and lies on the coast between the larger settlements of Embleton and Seahouses. Newton-by-the-Sea is in the ...

Ninebanks

Ninebanks is a small village in south west Northumberland, England in the North Pennines Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty 8 miles north-east of Alston by road. It is noted for the early sixteenth century Ninebanks Tower, sometimes described as ...

Norham

Norham is a village and civil parish in Northumberland, England, on the south side of the River Tweed where it is the border with Scotland.

North Blyth, Northumberland

North Blyth is a small settlement in south-east Northumberland, England. It is located to the south east of the village of Cambois and to the north of the town of Blyth on the north eastern side of the River Blyth harbour. It consists of six stre ...

North Charlton

North Charlton is a hamlet and former civil parish, now in the parish of Eglingham in Northumberland, in England. It is situated between Alnwick and Berwick-upon-Tweed, on the A1. In 1951 the civil parish had a population of 90. On 1 April 1955 t ...

North Sunderland

North Sunderland is a fishing village on the coast of Northumberland, England, and adjacent to Seahouses. The population of the civil parish was 1.803 at the 2001 census, increasing to 1.959 at the 2011 Census.

Nunnykirk

Nunnykirk is a civil parish in the county of Northumberland in England. Nunnykirk is the location of Nunnykirk hall, a former country house and the current school.

Old Bewick

Old Bewick is a village in the civil parish of Bewick, in the county of Northumberland, England, notable for its Bronze Age cairn, Iron Age hill fort, and rock art exhibiting the characteristic cup and ring marks. Blawearie Cairn, excavated in 18 ...

Ord, Northumberland

Ord is a civil parish in Northumberland, England. According to the 2001 census it had a population 1.365, increasing slightly to 1.374 at the 2011 Census. The parish is situated to the south-west of the town of Berwick-upon-Tweed, and includes th ...

Otterburn, Northumberland

Otterburn is a small village in Northumberland, England, 31 miles northwest of Newcastle upon Tyne on the banks of the River Rede, near the confluence of the Otter Burn, from which the village derives its name. It lies within the Cheviot Hills ab ...

Ouston, Ninebanks

Ouston is a small settlement in south west Northumberland, England in the North Pennines Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty 8 miles north-east of Alston by road, and just west of Ninebanks.

Ovington, Northumberland

Very little has been found from prehistoric times except for a cup and ring marked stone at Hunters Hill. It had an extraordinary range of symbols carved on it and is our only clue to the people who lived here in the Neolithic. There is a large g ...

Painshawfield

The Painshawfield, Batt House and Birches Nook Estate is a housing estate in the village of Stocksfield in Northumberland, England. It is commonly known as the Painshawfield Estate, being named after one of the three farms on whose land the Estat ...

Peel Fell

Peel Fell is the highest hill in the Kielder Forest region of England, making it the highest hill for several miles in each direction until the Cheviot Hills to the north-east are reached. Because of this, it has enough relative height to make it ...