ⓘ Free online encyclopedia. Did you know? page 30

Weston Beggard

Weston Beggard is a small civil parish and hamlet in Herefordshire, England. It is located between the villages of Shucknall and Bartestree and lies approximately 6 km east of Hereford. It is on the north bank of the River Frome. The population o ...

Weston under Penyard

Weston under Penyard is a small village in Herefordshire, England. The population of the Civil Parish at the 2011 Census was 1.007. It lies on the A40 road two miles East of Ross-on-Wye. In Penyard is a prominent hill. Parish Church of St Lawrenc ...

Whitchurch, Herefordshire

Whitchurch is a village in Herefordshire named after the church of Saint Dubricius which was originally white in colour. Whitchurch is located on the A40, connecting nearby Ross-on-Wye in the Welsh town of Monmouth. It is located near Symonds Yat ...

Whitney-on-Wye

Whitney-on-Wye is a village and civil parish in Herefordshire, England, very close to the border with Wales. The population of this civil parish at the 2011 census was 117. It is on the A438 road, and on the River Wye. The village is 25 km west o ...

Widemarsh Common

Widemarsh Common is a public open space in Hereford. It is owned by Herefordshire Council and is used primarily as a recreational ground for both cricket and football. It is the home pitch for Hereford Lads Club Cricket Club. It was a place for l ...

Willey, Herefordshire

Willey is a civil parish in Herefordshire, on the Welsh-English borders. The main source of employment is farming and there were a total of 61 residents in the parish at the 2001 census. The parish borders on Stapleton, Lingen and Presteigne.

Wilton Castle

Wilton Castle is a 12th-century Norman castle located in south-eastern Herefordshire, England on the River Wye adjacent to the town of Ross-on-Wye. The castle is named after the manor associated with it. This castle in Herefordshire, still standi ...

Wilton, Herefordshire

Wilton is a village in south Herefordshire, England just under a mile west of the market town of Ross-on-Wye. In 1100, Henry 1 set up 3 Royal manors in Herefordshire, including the manor of Wilton. This included a number of the surrounding villag ...

Wolferlow

Wolferlow is a village in northern Herefordshire, England, about 4 miles north of Bromyard. In the fourteenth century the manor belonged to the Earl Wolfelow March, about 1310 was granted to Walter de Thornbury, vassal of the count, who became Lo ...

Woolhope

Woolhope is a village and civil parish in the English county of Herefordshire. The population of the civil parish was 486 at the 2011 census. The civil parish includes the hamlet of Broadmoor Common to the west of the village, and a locale known ...

Wormbridge

Wormbridge is a village and former civil parish in Herefordshire, England, about eight miles south-west of Hereford, on the A465 road at. The neighbouring villages are Kilpeck, Didley, Howton, Ewyas Harold, Pontrilas and Crizeley. Until 1 April 2 ...

Wormelow Tump

Wormelow Tump is a village in Herefordshire, England, 6 miles south of Hereford and 6 1 ⁄ 2 mi northwest of Ross-on-Wye. Most of the village lies in the parish of Much Birch, but it extends west across the parish boundary – which here follows the ...

Wyson

Wyson is a hamlet in north Herefordshire, England, situated west of the A49 road and the adjacent village of Brimfield. It is located in the parish of Brimfield. On the border of Shropshire and of the Salopian village of Algeria is directly North.

Yarkhill

Yarkhill is a village in Herefordshire, England located about 9 miles from both Hereford and Ledbury. The village is Anglo-Saxon in origin and is a much dispersed parish, with no fixed core, around 145 houses, about 8 square miles 21 m 2, includi ...

Yarpole

Yarpole is a village in Croft and Yarpole civil parish, Herefordshire, England, about 4 1 ⁄ 2 miles northwest of Leominster. The village is near the county boundary with Shropshire and about 7 miles southwest of Ludlow. The civil parish includes ...

Yatton, Aymestrey

Yatton is a hamlet in the civil parish of Aymestrey in north-western Herefordshire, England. In 1870–72 the township had a population of 214. The village is located on 52°1758"N°02 4954"W, about 8 miles 13 km North-West of Leominster and 12 miles ...

Yatton, east Herefordshire

Yatton is a village and parish in south-east Herefordshire, England. Yatton is situated on Perrystone Hill, between Ross-on-Wye and Much Marcle. The population of the civil parish at the 2011 census was 208. Yatton chapel is a redundant Anglican ...

Albury, Hertfordshire

Albury is a village and civil parish in the East Hertfordshire district of Hertfordshire, England, about five miles west of Bishops Stortford. According to the 2001 census it had a population of 537, increasing in the 2011 Census to 595. Albury l ...

Aldenham Reservoir

Aldenham Reservoir is situated in the parish of Elstree and Borehamwood in Hertfordshire, England, about one mile to the west of the village of Elstree. It was originally 65 acres 260.000 m2 in extent, but after the repair of the dam its area is ...

Anstey, Hertfordshire

Anstey is a village and civil parish in the East Hertfordshire district of Hertfordshire, England, about 15 miles northeast of Stevenage. According to the 2001 Census the population of the parish was 338, reducing to 299 at the 2011 Census. Name" ...

Aspenden

Aspenden is a village and civil parish in the East Hertfordshire district of Hertfordshire, England. The village is just to the south of Buntingford. The Prime Meridian passes to the East of Aspenden. The place-name is first attested in 1212 and ...

Ayot Green

Ayot Green is a hamlet in Hertfordshire, England and is near the A1 Motorway, close to Welwyn Garden City. It is a typical traditional English village, centred on a village green. There are several other Ayots in the area, including Ayot St Lawre ...

Ayot St Peter

Ayot St Peter is a village and civil parish in the Welwyn Hatfield district of Hertfordshire, England, about two miles north-west of Welwyn Garden City. According to the 2001 census it had a population of 166. At the 2011 Census the population in ...

Babbs Green

Babbs Green is a hamlet in the East Hertfordshire district of Hertfordshire, England, located around 3 miles north-east of Ware and immediately north of Wareside. It is in the civil parish of Wareside

Barkway

Barkway is a long-established village and civil parish in the North Hertfordshire district of Hertfordshire, England, about five miles south-east of Royston, 35 miles from London and 15 miles from the centre of Cambridge. The Prime Meridian passe ...

Batchworth

Batchworth was once a hamlet and is now a civil parish and part of Rickmansworth in Hertfordshire. Batchworth Parish Council was created in 2017 consisting of two Three Rivers District Council wards, namely, Rickmansworth Town and Moor Park & Eas ...

Bearton

Bearton was a small hamlet lying to the north of Hitchin in Hertfordshire, England. It was incorporated into Hitchin over a century ago, and now forms part of the Hitchin Bearton ward of North Hertfordshire District Council. In the UK Census 2011 ...

Bedmond

Bedmond is a village in the Three Rivers district of the English ceremonial county of Hertfordshire. It is located around one mile north of the larger village of Abbots Langley. Bedmond belongs to the civil parish of Abbots Langley and at the tim ...

Bedmond and Primrose Hill

Bedmond and Primrose Hill is a ward in Three Rivers, in England, the United Kingdom. It is located in south-west Hertfordshire, in the East of England region. The ward includes Bedmond and a sparsely populated area to the north. It lies north of ...

Bell Bar

Bell Bar is a hamlet located in North Mymms, Hertfordshire, England. It is in the civil parish of North Mymms. Thought, named after the ancient bell, which stood nearby, bell bar a cluster of houses around this coaching Inn on the Great North roa ...

Belsize, Hertfordshire

Belsize is a hamlet in Hertfordshire, England, situated less than a mile from Chipperfield and Sarratt. Belsize was awarded the Hertfordshires best kept hamlet in 1989 and 1996.

Bendish

Bendish is a hamlet located in the parish of St Pauls Walden in Hertfordshire. In the 18th century, Bendish was a small town. It is about 3 miles east of Luton, 5 miles south of Hitchin and 4.5 miles north of Harpenden. Many services such as the ...

Bengeo Rural

Bengeo Rural is a civil parish in the East Hertfordshire district of Hertfordshire, England. According to the 2001 census it had a population of 601, increasing at the 2011 Census to 644. The parish includes the villages of Tonwell and Chapmore E ...

Benslow

Benslow is a district of Hitchin, Hertfordshire. It is located very close to the Railway Station. Houses in the area range from those built in the late 19th century to a more modern housing estate at the top of Benslow Lane built in the 1990s. Th ...

Bentley Heath, Hertfordshire

Bentley Heath is a hamlet in Hertfordshire, England, between Chipping Barnet and Potters Bar. It is on the north edge of the Wrotham Park estate with which it has traditionally been associated. Hamlet contains a number of listed activities: Almsh ...

Bernards Heath

Bernards Heath is a heathland in St Albans, Hertfordshire, the site of the Second Battle of St Albans in 1461 during the Wars of the Roses. In the 19th century it was the Hertfordshire County cricket ground. There is a Second World war public air ...

Bourne End, Hertfordshire

Bourne End is a village in Hertfordshire, England. It is situated on the ancient Roman Akeman Street between Berkhamsted and Hemel Hempstead, on the former A41 London-Liverpool Trunk Route, on the Grand Union Canal that runs between London and Bi ...

Bramfield, Hertfordshire

Bramfield is a village and civil parish in the East Hertfordshire district, in the county of Hertfordshire, England. Nearby settlements include Hertford, Waterford and Stapleford. Bramfield has a church dedicated to St Andrew.

Brent Pelham

Brent Pelham is a village and civil parish in the East Hertfordshire district, in the county of Hertfordshire, England, and situated approximately 5 miles east of Buntingford. It is one of the three Pelhams, with Stocking Pelham and Furneux Pelha ...

Buckland, Hertfordshire

Buckland is a village and civil parish in the East Hertfordshire district of Hertfordshire, England. According to the 2011 census it had a population of 274. The civil parish containing the village had a population of 1.853 at the 2011 census. Th ...

Caldecote, Hertfordshire

Caldecote is a village and civil parish in the North Hertfordshire district of Hertfordshire, England. It is located around three miles north of Baldock and around a mile and a half east of Stotfold in the neighbouring county of Bedfordshire. The ...

Cannix

Cannix otherwise Canwykes or Broxbournes, is an area near Broxbourne, Hertfordshire, England. It was named from its early tenants, and was held of the manor of Stevenage by military service. It seems to have been identical with the messuage and v ...

Charlton, Hertfordshire

Charlton is a hamlet in Hertfordshire, England, close to the town of Hitchin but retaining its separate identity. It has a population of less than fifty. It is in the ward of Hitchin Priory. The manor of Charlton is mentioned in the Domesday Book ...

Chaulden

Chaulden is a residential district in Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, England located west of the town centre and bordering on open countryside. It was an early development in the construction of Hemel Hempstead new town, commenced in 1953 and ha ...

Cherry Green, Hertfordshire

Cherry Green is a hamlet in the East Hertfordshire District, in the county of Hertfordshire, England. The post town for Cherry Green is the nearby town of Buntingford. It is in the civil parish of Westmill.

Childwickbury

Childwickbury is a small hamlet in Hertfordshire, England lying to the north of St Albans in the parish of St Michael. Childwickbury manor was home to Stanley Kubrick from 1978 until his death in 1999.

Clothall

Clothall is a village and civil parish in the county of Hertfordshire, England, with a population of 358. It is situated 2.25 miles south-east of Baldock, and is in the district of North Hertfordshire. At the 2011 Census the civil parish had a po ...

Cole Green, Hertfordshire

Cole Green is a hamlet in Hertfordshire, England. It is 1 mile south-east of Welwyn Garden City just off the A414. It is in the Peartree Ward of Welwyn/Hatfield Council. Residents of note include Sky Sports boxing commentator Nick Halling. Previo ...

Colney Heath

Colney Heath is a large village in Hertfordshire, England. The village became a civil parish in 1947 when the St. Peter Rural parish was split to form Colney Heath and London Colney. There is a converted windmill in the village. The civil parish ...

Colney Street

Colney Street is a hamlet in the English county of Hertfordshire. It lies on А5183 the road, it was formerly the A5 road and, before that, Roman Britain street Watling. In addition, its Northern border is defined by the M25 motorway. These advant ...