ⓘ Free online encyclopedia. Did you know? page 287

Penninghame

Penninghame in Wigtownshire, Dumfries and Galloway, Scotland, is a civil parish area, 8 miles from Wigtown. The area is approx 16 miles in length, and from 5 to 6 miles width, bounded on the north and east by the River Cree, and on the west by th ...

Caprington Loch

What now survives of the old Caprington Loch is situated near Earlston, Riccarton, East Ayrshire, Scotland. The loch was a natural feature, sitting in a hollow on the old Caprington Castle estate. The loch waters drain via the Todrigs Burn that f ...

Muirkirk Enterprise Group

Muirkirk Enterprise Group was set up in 1999 with the aim of regenerating the rural village of Muirkirk which was, at one time, labelled the most socially deprived village in Scotland. The ongoing aim of MEG is to regenerate the whole village com ...

Soulis Cross

The ancient Soulis Cross was originally located in the centre of Soulis Street near the Kilmarnock Water in Kilmarnock, East Ayrshire, Scotland. In 1825 a replacement cross in the form of a fluted pillar topped with an urn was erected using funds ...

New Kilpatrick

New Kilpatrick, is an ecclesiastical Parish and former Civil Parish in Dunbartonshire. It was formed in 1649 from the eastern half of the parish of Kilpatrick, the western half forming Old Kilpatrick. New Kilpatrick is also a disused name for the ...

Castle Tarbet

A castle was constructed on the island of Fidra in the 12th century by John de Vaux, Baron of Dirleton. The castle, chapel and island was granted to the Premonstratensian monks of Dryburgh Abbey by William de Vaux in 1220. Dirleton Castle, on the ...

Lord Lieutenant of East Lothian

This is a list of people who have served as Lord Lieutenant of East Lothian, or Haddingtonshire. George Baillie-Hamilton-Arden, 11th Earl of Haddington, 14 November 1876 – 11 June 1917. David Charteris, 12th Earl of Wemyss, 21 June 1967 – 1987. H ...

Tyninghame

Tyninghame is a small settlement in East Lothian, Scotland, about two miles north-east of East Linton. Together with the nearby settlement of Whitekirk, it gives its name to the parish of Whitekirk and Tyninghame.

Whitekirk and Tyninghame

Whitekirk and Tyninghame is a civil parish in East Lothian, Scotland, which takes its name from the two small settlements of Whitekirk and Tyninghame. The two separate ancient parishes were joined in 1761.

Cookes Royal Circus

Cookes Royal Circus 1780–1912 started as a travelling show going around Britain in the late 18th century. It was primarily an equestrian show with over half the acts involving horses.

Lost Street Names in Edinburgh

This is a compilation of lost, renamed or relocated streets in Edinburgh. Although this would be a pointless exercise in most cities, the degree of preservation of the city, in combination with its status as the home of many famous persons, rende ...

Whitefoord House

Whitefoord House (or occasionally Whiteford House is an 18th century former mansion on the Canongate section of the Royal Mile in Edinburgh. It stands on the north side of the Royal Mile obscured by more modern buildings, under a backdrop of Calt ...

Fife Fire and Rescue Service

Fife Fire and Rescue Service was the statutory fire and rescue service for the area of Fife, Scotland. It was amalgamated into the single Scottish Fire and Rescue Service in 2013.

Largo, Fife

Largo is a parish in Fife, Scotland containing the villages of Upper Largo or Kirkton of Largo, Lower Largo and Lundin Links. It is bounded on the west by the parish of Scoonie, on the north by Ceres and on the east by the parishes of Newburn and ...

Lord Lieutenant of Fife

This is a list of people who have served as Lord Lieutenant of Fife. George Lindsay-Crawford, 22nd Earl of Crawford 20 May 1807 – 30 June 1808. Captain James Erskine Wemyss RN 17 December 1840 – 3 April 1854. James Bruce, 8th Earl of Elgin 22 Apr ...

Normans Law

Normans Law is a prominent hill at the very eastern end of the Ochil Fault, Scotland. It sits above the south bank of the River Tay, around four miles north west of Cupar. Around the summit Cairn right the Normans are the remnants of an epoch of ...

Scoonie

Scoonie is a parish in Fife, Scotland containing the town of Leven. It is bordered on the north by the parishes of Kettle and Ceres, on the east by the parish of Largo, on the south by the parishes of Markinch and Wemyss, and on the west by the p ...

Traill (surname)

The name Traill is a French family of Lairds or land Barons and clergy from Paris, France. They originated in pre and post revolutionary France and spread to Orkney, Northern Ireland and beyond. References to Trails as Barons are recorded from th ...

Glasgow City Council

Glasgow City Council, the local government body of the city of Glasgow, Scotland, became one of the newly created single tier local authorities in 1996, under the Local Government etc. Act 1994, with boundaries somewhat different from those of th ...

Glasgow Fire Service

Glasgow Fire Service provided emergency services such as fire prevention, firefighting, emergency medical services and technical rescue to Glasgow, the largest city in Scotland and the third-largest city in the United Kingdom. On 16 May 1975, the ...

St Enoch Square

St. Enoch Square is a public square in Glasgow, Scotland, situated at the junction of Buchanan Street and Argyle Street, the citys two busiest shopping streets.

Lord Lieutenant of Midlothian

This is a list of people who have served as Lord Lieutenant of Midlothian. Harry Primrose, 6th Earl of Rosebery 8 October 1929 – 1964. William Kerr, 6th Marquess of Lothian 8 June 1819 – 27 April 1824. Charles Montagu-Scott, 4th Duke of Buccleuch ...

Lecht Mine

Lecht Mine is a former iron and manganese mining site located in the parish of Kirkmichael, Moray, Scotland. Today only the building of the crushing plant remains. It is a listed building of Category B, HB number 8924.

Cunninghame

The origin of the name is uncertain. However a possible derivation along with the surname Cunningham is from coineanach which means rabbit in Gaelic and the Saxon ham which means village. The rabbits, "coneys", in the coat of arms are a pun for " ...

The Barony of Kersland

The remains of the old castle of Kersland lie about 1.5 miles to the north-east of the town of Dalry in North Ayrshire, Scotland, in the old Barony of Kersland. The River Garnock lies nearby.

Barony and Castle of Kilbirnie

The substantial remains of the old castle and 16th century manor house of Kilbirnie lie west of the town of Kilbirnie in North Ayrshire, Scotland, on the lower slopes of the Glengarnock Hills, in the old Barony of Kilbirnie. The building is also ...

Lands of Bogston

Bogston or later Bogstone was a small estate in the old Barony of Giffen near Barrmill in the Parish of Beith, North Ayrshire, once held by collateral descendants of the Montgomeries of Broadstone. The estate covered 160 acres or around 65 hectar ...

Lands of Brownmuir

The lands of Brownmuir, Brown Muir or Brimmer in Scots were located in the Parish of Beith, at the western boundary between East Renfrewshire and North Ayrshire, Scotland. The settlements of Brownmuir and Rakerfield were part of the old Brownmuir ...

Lands of Doura

The Lands of Doura, Dawra, Dawray, Dowrey Dowray, Dourey or Douray formed a small estate, at one time part of the Barony of Corsehill and Doura, situated near the Eglinton Estate in the Parish of Kilwinning, North Ayrshire, Scotland.

Lands of Morishill

The lands of Morishill, Morrishill, Moorishill or Moricehill were part of the holdings of the Barony of Beith, Regality of Kilwinning and Bailiary of Cuninghame. The name may have derived from large shielings or huts that were once erected at the ...

Lands of Sevenacres

The Lands of Sevenacres known locally as Snacres were originally part of the holdings of Kilwinning Abbey in North Ayrshire, Scotland. The Laird of Sevenacress residence once stood at what became known as Little Sevenacres on the high ground abov ...

Lands of Threepwood

The lands of Threepwood were located in the Parish of Beith, at the eastern boundary between East Renfrewshire and North Ayrshire, Scotland. The settlements of Midtown, Townhead and Townend were part of the old Threepwood Estate. Cuffhill at 675 ...

The Lands of Roughwood

Roughwood once Ruchwood is a farm, originally a estate, possessing at one time a small tower castle. Roughwood is situated near to the town of Beith in North Ayrshire, Scotland, the lands lay within the old Lordship of Giffen.

Lord Lieutenant of Perth and Kinross

This is a list of people who have served as Lord Lieutenant of Perth and Kinross. The office replaced the Lord Lieutenant of Perthshire and the Lord Lieutenant of Kinross-shire in 1975. Brig Sir Melville Stewart Jameson 14 August 2006 – present. ...

Lands of Elliston

The lands of Elliston, previously Elliotston or Eliotstoun or Elliestoun in the Parish of Lochwinnoch were part of the holdings of the Barony of Elliston, later a part of the Castle Semple barony and estates. The ruins of the castle lie a short d ...

Lord Lieutenant of Renfrewshire

The Lord Lieutenant of Renfrewshire is the representative of the British Crown covering a lieutenancy area of the county of Renfrewshire in the west central Lowlands of Scotland. The Lord-Lieutenant, deals with many of the formalities associated ...

Trinity High School, Renfrew

Trinity High School is a Roman Catholic high school in Renfrew, Scotland. Its enrolment is approximately 905 students as of September 2012. The school building was originally on the site of the public school Renfrew, but in 1976, Renfrew high sch ...

Aberdeen City Council

Aberdeen City Council represents the Aberdeen City council area of Scotland. Region the Council was created in 1996, under the local government etc Scotland 1994. However, a sense of Aberdeen as a city, with their advice of the city can be traced ...

City of Edinburgh Council

The City of Edinburgh Council is the local government authority for the City of Edinburgh. It was created in 1996 under the Local Government etc. Act 1994, with the boundaries of the post-1975 City of Edinburgh district of the Lothian region.

Dumfries and Galloway Fire and Rescue Service

Dumfries and Galloway Fire and Rescue Service was the statutory fire and rescue service for the area of Dumfries and Galloway, Scotland. It was amalgamated into the single Scottish Fire and Rescue Service in 2013.

Lothian and Borders Fire and Rescue Service

Lothian and Borders Fire and Rescue Service was a Local Authority fire and rescue service covering an area of 2.500 square miles of south east Scotland, and serving a total population of 890.000. It was amalgamated into the single Scottish Fire a ...

Ross and Cromarty

Ross and Cromarty, sometimes referred to as Ross-shire and Cromartyshire is a variously defined area in the Highlands and Islands of Scotland. There is a registration county and a lieutenancy area in current use, the latter of which is 8.019 squa ...

Lord Lieutenant of Argyllshire

This is a list of people who served as Lord Lieutenant of Argyllshire. The office was created on 6 May 1794 and replaced by the Lord Lieutenant of Argyll and Bute in 1975. John Campbell, 2nd Marquess of Breadalbane 4 December 1839 – 8 November 18 ...

Lord Lieutenant of Buteshire

This is a list of people who have served as Lord Lieutenant of Buteshire. The post was established in 1794 and abolished in 1975, being replaced by the Lord Lieutenant of Argyll and Bute and the Lord Lieutenant of Ayrshire and Arran. Andrew Murra ...

Lord Lieutenant of Caithness

The Lord Lieutenant of Caithness is the British monarchs personal representative in an area defined since 1975 as consisting of the local government district of Caithness, in Scotland. This definition was renewed by the Lord-Lieutenants Order 199 ...

Lord Lieutenant of Dunbartonshire

This is a list of people who have served as Lord Lieutenant of Dunbartonshire. Before the twentieth century, the county was spelled Dumbartonshire. James Cassels Robertson 1 December 1975 – 9 December 1978. Donald Ross OBE 6 March 2007 – 2008. Si ...

Lord Lieutenant of Kincardineshire

This is a list of people who have served as the Monarchs Lord Lieutenant in the County of Kincardine. John, Viscount of Arbuthnott 8 February 1977 – 1999†. Sir Alexander Baird, 1st Baronet 24 December 1889 – 1918. Robert, Viscount of Arbuthnott 2 ...

Lord Lieutenant of Kinross-shire

This is a list of people who have served as Lord Lieutenant of Kinross-shire: Alexander Price Haig 6 December 1928 – 1934. George Graham 17 March 1794 – 18 December 1801. Sir Charles Adam, 1st Baronet 26 March 1909 – 1911. Henry Keith Purvis-Russ ...

Lord Lieutenant of Kirkcudbright

This is a list of people who have served as Lord-Lieutenant of Kirkcudbright, now the Lord-Lieutenant for Dumfries and Galloway Region. Sir Malcolm Ross 2 March 2006 – 27 October 2018. Dunbar James Douglas, 6th Earl of Selkirk 29 May 1845 – 11 Ap ...

Lord Lieutenant of Lanarkshire

This is a list of people who served as Lord Lieutenant of Lanarkshire. Sir Alexander Stephen 28 January 1955 – 1959. Gavin Hamilton, 2nd Baron Hamilton of Dalzell 6 July 1938 – 23 June 1952. John Christie Stewart 16 June 1959 – 1963. Douglas Doug ...