ⓘ Free online encyclopedia. Did you know? page 210

Tesnatee Gap

Tesnatee Gap is a mountain pass in the U.S. state of Georgia. Tesnatee this name comes from the Cherokee language means "wild Turkey". The names of the "gap Tessantee" and "Tosnata gap".

Tesnatee, Georgia

A post office called Tesnatee was established in 1880, and remained in operation until 1905. The community takes its name from nearby Tesnatee Creek. Variant names were "Tessantee" and "Tosnata".

Texas Valley

Texas Valley is the name of two valleys in Floyd County, in the U.S. state of Georgia. Two valleys aptly named big Texas valley and little Texas valley. There are two stories about the origin of the name valley of Texas, both involve the pioneers ...

Three Sisters (Georgia)

Three Sisters Mountain is a mountain near Dahlonega, Lumpkin County, Georgia with a trio of peaks known locally as Rattlesnake, Wildcat and McBrayer. The middle summit is the highest with an elevation of 2.131 feet.

Tickanetley, Georgia

Tickanetley originally was the name of a Cherokee Indian village which stood at the present town site. A variant spelling is "Ticanetlee". A post office was established at Tickanetley in 1880, and remained in operation until 1914.

Tippettville, Georgia

The community was named after brothers Abner and Ezekiel Tippett, the proprietors of a local country store. A post office called Tippettville was established in 1891, and remained in operation until 1904.

Toledo, Georgia

A post office called Toledo was established in 1895, and remained in operation until 1930. The communitys name is a transfer from Toledo, Spain but is pronounced "Toe-lay-do".

Towns, Georgia

A post office called Towns was established in 1870, and remained in operation until 1953. Johnson C. Towns, an early postmaster, gave the community his last name.

Townsend, Georgia

Townsend is an unincorporated community in McIntosh County, Georgia, United States. It lies along State Route 57 northwest of the city of Darien, the county seat. Its elevation is 20 feet. Although it is unincorporated, it has a post office, with ...

Travellers Rest, Macon County, Georgia

Travellers Rest had its start in 1830 as a stagecoach stop. A post office called Travellers Rest was established in 1833, and remained in operation until 1852. A variant name was "Bristol". An act of the Georgia General Assembly officially incorp ...

Treadwell, Georgia

A variant name was "Amzi". A post office called Amzi was established in 1894, and remained in operation until 1909. In 1900, the community had 35 inhabitants.

Treat, Georgia

Treat was laid out ca. 1907, and named after a first settlers acquaintance in New York. A post office called Treat was established in 1907, and remained in operation until 1912.

Tugaloo State Park

Tugaloo State Park is a 393 acre state park located on the shore of Lake Hartwell in Franklin County, Georgia. The park features a swimming beach, boat ramps, and ample fishing opportunities, and is located near S.R. 328 north of Lavonia.

Turkey Mountain (Georgia)

Turkey Mountain is a summit in Floyd County, Georgia. With an elevation of 1.122 feet, Turkey Mountain is the 808th highest summit in the state of Georgia. "Turkey" can be named after an individual American Indian or a bird.

Turniptown Mountain

Turniptown Mountain is a summit in the U.S. state of Georgia. The elevation is 3.619 feet. Turniptown mountain took its name from a nearby indigenous village, where the tubers were collected, an important source of food for Indians.

Tweed, Georgia

A post office called Tweed was established in 1880, and remained in operation until 1904. The communitys name most likely is a transfer from the River Tweed, in Scotland.

Tyree, Georgia

A variant name was "Tyre". The communitys name is derived from Tyre, Lebanon. A post office called Tyre was established in 1883, and remained in operation until 1904.

Tyus, Georgia

A post office called Tyus was established in 1892, and remained in operation until 1905. The community was named after Jackson "Jack" Buchanan Tyus, a local merchant.

Underwood Hills, Atlanta

The neighborhood was founded in 1902, when it was dubbed Northside Park, but construction in the area, in what at that point was the edge of the city, didnt pick up steam until the 1920s. Many residents then were employed by the nearby Seaboard C ...

Undine, Georgia

The first permanent settlement at Undine was made in the early 1900s. A post office called Undine was established in 1900, and remained in operation until 1907.

Univeter, Georgia

Univeter is an unincorporated community located between Canton and Holly Springs in Cherokee County, Georgia, United States, although parts of the area have been annexed into Canton. Univeter is mostly residential and traversed by Butterworth Roa ...

Uptonville, Georgia

A variant name was "Wainwright". A post office called Wainright was established in 1883, the name changed to Uptonville in 1909, and the post office closed in 1916. The present name is after John and Ben Upton, proprietors of a local sawmill.

Vada, Georgia

A post office called Vada was established in 1892, and remained in operation until 1907. The community was named after Vada Wooten, the daughter of a local law enforcement agent. Early variant names were "Harrell" and "Pull-Tight".

Valona, Georgia

Valona is an unincorporated community in McIntosh County, Georgia, United States. The community is located on the inland side of the Intracoastal Waterway 9.2 miles north-northeast of Darien.

Vanna, Georgia

A post office called Vanna was established in 1893, and remained in operation until 1988. The community was named after Vanna Ballinger, the relative of a railroad official. In Georgia, the General Assembly included tub in the city in 1912. City ...

Vans Valley, Georgia

A post office called Vanns Valley was established in 1832, and remained in operation until it was discontinued in 1901. The community was named in honor of David Vann, a Cherokee leader.

Veazey, Georgia

A post office called Veazey was established in 1881, and remained in operation until 1933. The community was named after Eli A. Veazey, a local merchant and early postmaster. A variant name was "Veazy".

Vesta, Georgia

A post office called Vesta was established in 1888, and remained in operation until 1904. The community was named after Vesta Johnson, the daughter of a local settler.

Victoria, Georgia

A post office called Victoria was established in 1899, and remained in operation until 1908. The community most likely was named after Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom.

Visage, Georgia

A post office called Visage was established in 1875, and remained in operation until 1913. The community most likely was named after William Visage, a pioneer settler.

Wade-Walker Park

Wade-Walker Park is a 177 acre park with sports fields, hiking and biking trails, pavilions, and a fishing pier near Stone Mountain, Georgia, United States. In 2005, the park underwent a.5 million upgrade. The park is located at 5585 Rockbridge R ...

Walkersville, Georgia

Walkersville was founded in the 1880s by Jackson Walker, and named for him. A variant name is "Walkerville". A post office called Walkersville was established in 1898, and remained in operation until 1910.

Walnut, Georgia

A post office called Walnut was established in 1892, and remained in operation until 1933. The community was named for the walnut trees native to the area.

War Hill (Georgia)

War Hill is a summit in the U.S. state of Georgia. The elevation is 518 feet. Grief of war was named for the battle of kettle Creek 1779 was fought here.

Warner Robins, GA Metropolitan Statistical Area

The Warner Robins, Georgia metropolitan statistical area includes Houston, Peach, and Pulaski counties in central Georgia. In addition to the principal city of Warner Robins, the MSA also includes the incorporated municipalities of Centerville an ...

Warsaw, Georgia

Variant names are "Darien Junction", "Old Darien Junction", and "Theo". A post office called Theo was established in 1895, and remained in operation until 1907. The most recent name of "Warsaw" was adopted in 1915. The present name may be borrowe ...

Waterloo, Georgia

A post office called Waterloo was established in 1896, and remained in operation until 1903. According to tradition, the community received its name from the failed business dealings of a first settler, i.e. he "met his Waterloo".

Waterwood

Waterwood is the name used by the locals of Fayette County, Georgia, to describe a swamp approximately 4 acres in area. It is located.47 miles northeast of Inman Road Beach City, Georgia

Wauka Mountain

Wauka Mountain is a summit in the U.S. state of Georgia. The elevation is 2.579 feet. Name option - "Mountain Walker". The summit got its name from Richard Walker, a citizen of the pioneer.

Wayside, Georgia

Wayside, Georgia is an unincorporated community in Jones County, Georgia. It is included in zip code 31032. It is a populated place in 33.0612451°n 83.6048950°W / 33.0612451, -83.6048950 in the GNIs. The name of the Plan was selected for the soci ...

Welcome, Georgia

A post office called Welcome was established in 1891, and remained in operation until 1901. Some say the community was named after Welcome Carter, a pioneer settler, while others believe the community was named for the fact the Indians were welco ...

Wesley, Georgia

A post office called Wesley was established in 1912, and remained in operation until 1950. The community was named after John Wesley 1703–1791, the Anglican cleric and theologian, and founder of Methodism. The Georgia General Assembly included We ...

West Green, Georgia

West Green is an unincorporated community in Coffee County, Georgia, United States. West Green is located along U.S. Route 221 northeast of Douglas and southwest of Lehigh near the Coffee-Jeff Davis County Line.

Westlake, Georgia

Westlake is an extinct town in Twiggs County, in the U.S. state of Georgia. The GNIS classifies it as a populated place.

White Path, Georgia

A post office called White Path was established in 1847, and remained in operation until 1940. The community was named after White Path, a Cherokee chieftain. Variant names are "Whitepath", "Nun-na-tsu-nega", and "Nunne-una-ga".

White Sulphur Springs, Hall County, Georgia

The community was named for a mineral spa located at the town site. A variant name is "White Sulphur Spring". White sulphur springs was earlier was a municipality. City a municipal Charter was repealed in 1995.

White Sulphur Springs, Meriwether County, Georgia

A post office called White Sulphur Springs was established in 1841, and remained in operation until 1919. The community was named for a mineral spring near the original town site. A variant name is "Brandywine Station". In Georgia, the General As ...

Whitehouse, Georgia

The community was named for a white house which once stood prominently at the town site. The name is sometimes spelled out "White House". A post office called White House was established in 1836, and remained in operation until 1902.

Wildwood, Georgia

The community is close to the Tennessee state line and the Chattanooga city limits, and is considered part of the Chattanooga metropolitan area. It sits in the diagonal valley between Sand Mountain and Lookout Mountain, which runs through all of ...

Wiley, Georgia

Wiley is an unincorporated community in Rabun County, Georgia, United States. The community is located along U.S. Route 23/441, 5.6 miles south of Clayton. Wiley has a post office with ZIP code 30581.