ⓘ Free online encyclopedia. Did you know? page 207

Centerville, Talbot County, Georgia

Centerville was established in the 1820s as the county seat. Centerville then was located near the geographic center of Talbot County, hence the name. A variant name was "Centre". The Georgia General Assembly incorporated the place as the "Town o ...

Ceylon, Georgia

A post office called Ceylon was established in 1905, and remained in operation until 1916. The community was named after Ceylon, a name applied to the South Asian island nation of Sri Lanka during British colonial rule.

Chapel Hill, Georgia

A post office called Chapel Hill was established in 1872, and remained in operation until 1903. The communitys name most likely is a transfer from Chapel Hill, North Carolina.

Charing, Georgia

A post office called Charing was established in 1909, and remained in operation until 1975. The Georgia General Assembly incorporated the place as the "Town of Charing" in 1912. The towns charter was officially dissolved in 1915.

Chastain, Georgia

A post office called Chastain was established in 1880, and remained in operation until 1907. The community was named after one or more early settlers with the surname Chastain.

Chattoogaville, Georgia

Chattoogaville is an unincorporated community in Chattooga County, in the U.S. state of Georgia. The community lies about 12 miles south of the county seat at Summerville.

Chatuge Lake

Lake Chatuge is a man-made reservoir created by the Chatuge Dam which finished construction in 1942. The lake is relatively shallow with depths of 30 feet and reaches 144 feet by the dam.

Cheatham Hill

Cheatham Hill is a summit in the U.S. state of Georgia. The elevation is 1.122 feet. Cheatham hill was named in honor of Benjamin F. Cheatham, General in the army of the Confederacy of the southern States during the American Civil war. The hill w ...

Cheevertown, Georgia

A post office called Cheevertown was established in 1882, and remained in operation until 1894. The community most likely was named after William W. Cheever, a pioneer citizen.

Chelsea, Georgia

A post office called Chelsea was established in 1890, and remained in operation until it was discontinued in 1928. The community most likely was named after Chelsea, London. Little remains of the original community.

Chennault, Georgia

Chennault is an unincorporated community in Lincoln County, Georgia, United States. It lies at the intersection of State Routes 44 and 79, to the northwest of the city of Lincolnton, the county seat of Lincoln County. Its elevation is 466 feet, a ...

Chenocetah Mountain

Chenocetah Mountain, known to locals as "Tower Mountain," is located near the towns of Mount Airy and Cornelia, Georgia. The mountain has an elevation of 1.830 feet. Atop the mountain, the WPA built an observation tower in 1937 for the Forest Ser ...

Cherry Log, Georgia

Cherry Log is a census-designated place and unincorporated community in Gilmer County, Georgia, United States. Its population was 119 as of the 2010 census. Cherry Log has a post office with ZIP code 30522. U.S. Route 76 passes through the commun ...

Chestatee, Georgia

Chestatee is an unincorporated community in northeastern Forsyth County, Georgia, United States, due west of the confluence of the Chestatee River into the Chattahoochee River. Originally a Cherokee settlement, it was called Atsunsta Ti Yi. The w ...

Chestnut Mountain, Georgia

Chestnut Mountain is an unincorporated community in Hall County, Georgia, United States. The community is located along Georgia State Route 53, 8.7 miles south of Gainesville. The community was named in honor of George. brown, a citizen of the pi ...

Chestnutflat, Georgia

A variant name is "Chestnut Flat". A post office called Chestnut Flat was established in 1841, and remained in operation until 1904. The community was named for a grove of chestnut trees near the original town site.

Chief McIntosh Lake

Chief McIntosh Lake is a reservoir in the U.S. state of Georgia. The main lake Mackintosh was named in honor of William Mackintosh, 1775-1825, chief of the Creek nation.

China Hill, Georgia

A post office called Chinahill was established in 1876, and remained in operation until 1904. The community was named for a grove of chinaberry trees near the original town site.

Chokee, Georgia

A post office called Chokee was established in 1882, and remained in operation until 1905. The communitys name is derived from the Muscogee language. In 1900, Chokee had about 120 inhabitants.

Chubbtown, Georgia

Chubbtown was founded as a colony of free African-Americans in 1864 by Henry Chubb. Chubbtown provided goods and services to white and black residents of the surrounding areas. The community eventually established its own post office, however, Ch ...

Chula, Georgia

Chula is an unincorporated community in Tift County, Georgia, United States. The community is located along U.S. Route 41 near Interstate 75, 7.2 miles north-northwest of Tifton. Chula has a post office with ZIP code 31733.

Cisco, Georgia

Cisco is an unincorporated community in Murray County, Georgia, United States. The community is located at the intersection of U.S. Route 411, Georgia State Route 2, and Georgia State Route 61, 13 miles north of Chatsworth. Cisco has a post offic ...

Clarksboro, Georgia

Clarksboro once served as the county seat of Jackson County. The community was named after Elijah Clarke, an American military officer. A variant spelling is "Clarksborough".

Clinchfield, Georgia

Clinchfield is an unincorporated community in south-central Houston County, Georgia, United States. It lies near U.S. Route 341 at the junction of Georgia Highway 224. It is part of the Perry, Georgia Metropolitan Statistical Area. Clinchfield st ...

Clyde, Georgia

Clyde once held the county seat of Bryan County. The community was named after Field Marshal Colin Campbell, 1st Baron Clyde 1792–1863, a Scottish soldier. A variant name was "Eden". A post office called Clyde was established in 1887, and remaine ...

Clyo, Georgia

Clyo is an unincorporated community in Effingham County, Georgia, United States. The community is located along Georgia State Route 119, 8.1 miles north-northeast of Springfield. Clyo has a post office with ZIP code 31303.

Coal Mountain, Georgia

Coal Mountain is an unincorporated community in Forsyth County, Georgia, United States. The Coal Mountain area lies at the intersection of GA-369 and SR-9. It was once home to a post office that served the small community. North Forsyth High Scho ...

Cobb, Georgia

Cobb is an unincorporated community in Sumter County, Georgia, United States. Cobb is connected with the residents of Lake Blackshear and is the location of the Lake Blackshear Volunteer Fire Department. The community is part of the Americus stat ...

Cobbville, Georgia

An early variant name was "Cameron Mills", after J. W. Cameron, the proprietor of a local gristmill. A post office called "Cobbsville" was established in 1851, and remained in operation until 1935.

Cochrans Falls

With a total vertical drop of 600 feet, Cochrans Falls is tied with Caledonia Cascade as the second tallest waterfall in Georgia. This cascading waterfall is located in Dawson County, northwest of Dawsonville, Georgia and is in the vicinity of th ...

Coffee, Georgia

A post office called Coffee was established in 1890, and remained in operation until 1957. The community was either named after a local pioneer citizen or after General John E. Coffee, a state legislator and a U. S. representative sources vary.

Cohutta Mountains

The Cohutta Mountains is a mountain range in Georgia, U.S. BBQ restaurant-this name comes from the Cherokee language means "a shed roof supported by pillars". The range includes: Fort Mountain Murray County, Georgia. Grassy Mountain Georgia, in M ...

Cole City, Georgia

The Georgia General Assembly incorporated Cole City as a town in 1873, with municipal corporate limits extending in a two-mile 3.2 km radius from the main entrance of the Dade Coal Company coal mine. The community was named after Colonel E. W. Co ...

Coleoatchee Creek

Coleoatchee Creek is a creek in Talbot County, Georgia. It rises at the base of Pine Mountain Range near the Meriwether County/Talbot County border. The creek has a very strong source, which continues to flow strongly in the severest droughts. Th ...

Colerain, Georgia

Colerain is an extinct town in Camden County, in the U.S. state of Georgia. The GNIS classifies it as a populated place. A variant name was "Coleraine".

Colima, Georgia

A post office called Colima was established in 1886, and remained in operation until being discontinued in 1909. The community was probably named after Colima, in commemoration of the Mexican–American War.

Collier, Georgia

The community was named after Cuthbert Collier, a pioneer settler. Variant names were "Colliers" and "Collier Station". A post office called Collier was in operation from 1875 until 1905.

Collinsville, Georgia

The Georgia General Assembly incorporated the place in 1887 as the "Town of Collinsville". It is unknown why the name "Collinsville" was applied to this community.

Colomokee, Georgia

A post office called Colomokee was established in 1896, and remained in operation until 1905. A variant name was "Kolomoki". The community takes its name from Kolomoki Creek.

Colonels Island, Georgia

Colonels Island is a remote inhabited island in the U.S. state of Georgia. Part of Liberty County, Georgia, it was home to Colonel Alexander Herrons plantation, called "Herrons Point". The island was originally known as Bermuda Island and reporte ...

Colonial Hills (East Point)

Colonial Hills is a neighborhood in the northernmost section of East Point, Georgia. It rests alongside of Langford Parkway Just to the north of Colonial Hills is Fort McPherson-, which has been closed due to military downsizing. Colonial Hills c ...

Conasauga, Georgia

Conasauga is the site of a former Cherokee settlement. "Conasauga" is a name derived from the Cherokee language meaning "grass". Variant names are "Connasauga", "Connesauga", "Connesawga", and "Cunasagee". A post office called "Connesauga" was es ...

Cooksville, Georgia

A variant name was "Saint Cloud". A post office called Cooksville operated from 1872 until 1927. J. D. Cook, an early postmaster, gave the community his last name.

Cooper Heights, Georgia

A post office called Cooper Heights was established in 1891, and remained in operation until it was discontinued in 1951. The community was named for Eliphalet Cooper, a local settler.

Coosa, Georgia

Coosa is an unincorporated community in Floyd County, Georgia, United States. The community is located at the intersection of Georgia routes 20 and 100, north of the Coosa River, 11 miles west of Rome. Coosa has a post office with ZIP code 30129, ...

Coots Lake

Coots Lake is a reservoir in Polk County, in the U.S. state of Georgia. Coot lake was created in 1960 and named for the architect of the lakes, Coolidge "Coot" Hulsey, senior

Council, Georgia

A post office called Council was established in 1909, and remained in operation until 1958. The community was named after C. C. and John M. Coucil, proprietors of a local sawmill.

Crabapple, Georgia

Centered today at the crossroads of Georgia Highways 140 and 372, Crabapple, Georgia, is one of the oldest parts of Fulton County, Georgia. Originally part of Cherokee County, Georgia, Crabapple was part of the land contributed in 1857 to form Mi ...

Crandall, Georgia

Crandall is an unincorporated community in Murray County, Georgia, United States. The community is located along the concurrent U.S. Route 411, Georgia State Route 2, and Georgia State Route 61, 7 miles north of Chatsworth. Crandall has a post of ...

Crane Eater, Georgia

A post office called Crane-Eater was established in 1880, and remained in operation until being discontinued in 1906. The community was named in honor of a Cherokee chief.