ⓘ Free online encyclopedia. Did you know? page 157

Horseleg Mountain

Horseleg Mountain is a summit in Floyd County, Georgia, in the United States. With an elevation of 1.322 feet, Horseleg Mountain is the 735th highest summit in the state of Georgia. Horseleg mountain is said to be shaped like the horses leg, henc ...

Hortense, Georgia

Hortense is an unincorporated community in Brantley County, Georgia, United States. It is part of the Brunswick, Georgia Metropolitan Statistical Area. Its ZIP code is 31543. Hydrangea is at a height of 56 ft 17 m, and is contained in the interse ...

Hothouse, Georgia

The community takes its name from nearby Hothouse Creek. An alternative spelling is "Hot House". A post office called Hot House was established in 1848, and remained in operation until 1913.

Howard, Georgia

Howard is a census-designated place and unincorporated community in Taylor County, Georgia, United States. Its population was 110 as of the 2010 census. Howard has a post office with ZIP code 31039. Georgia State Route 96 passes through the commu ...

Huguenot, Georgia

A post office called Huguenot was established in 1894, and remained in operation until 1908. The community most likely was named for the fact a share of the first settlers were descended from the Huguenots.

Hutchins, Georgia

Variant names were "Huching", "Huchings", and "Hutchings". A post office called Huching was established in 1892, and remained in operation until 1937. The community was named after one Captain Hutchins or Huchins, a railroad conductor.

Indian Grave Gap

Indian Grave Gap is a valley in Towns County, Georgia. Traditionally, Indian grave gap was named for the American Indian grave, crowned with a Cairn.

Indianola, Georgia

A post office called Indianola was established in 1901, and remained in operation until 1915. Indianola was so named for the Native American Indians who once dwelt in the area.

Inman, Georgia

A post office called Inman was established in 1887, and remained in operation until 1967. Inman was incorporated as a town in 1911, the towns municipal charter was dissolved at a later date.

Irwins Crossroads, Georgia

The community was named after the local Irwin family of pioneer citizens. Variant names were "Irwin Crossroads" and "Irwins". A post office called Irwins Cross Roads was established in 1842, and remained in operation until 1873.

Isabella, Georgia

The community was named after Isabella Worth, the wife of General William J. Worth. A post office called Isabella was established in 1854, and remained in operation until 1900. The Georgia General Assembly incorporated Isabella as a city in 1903.

Ivanhoe, Georgia

A post office called Ivanhoe was established in 1877, and remained in operation until 1933. The community took its name from the 1820 novel Ivanhoe by Sir Walter Scott.

Jackson Hill (Georgia)

Jackson Hill is a summit in Rome, Georgia. With an elevation of 751 feet, Jackson Hill is the 905th highest summit in the state of Georgia. The hill considered to be one of the Seven Hills of Rome, Georgia. Jackson hill was named for a local Jack ...

Jacksonboro, Georgia

A variant name is "Jacksonborough". The community was named after James Jackson 1757–1806, Revolutionary War soldier, Georgia Congressman, Senator and Governor. Jacksonboro served as the original County Screven. The district was moved to Sylvania ...

Jamaica, Georgia

A post office called Jamaica was established in 1872, and remained in operation until 1905. The community was named after Jamaica, New York, the home of a railroad promoter.

James, Georgia

James, Georgia is a community in Jones County, Georgia near Gray, Georgia. It is a populated place, located at 32.966535°N 83.473681°W  / 32.966535, -83.473681.

Jamestown, Georgia

A post office called Jamestown was established in 1849, and remained in operation until 1914. The community was named after John A. James, a railroad agent.

Jewell, Georgia

Jewell is an unincorporated community in Warren County, Georgia, United States. It lies along Georgia Piedmont Scenic Byway State Route 16 to the southwest of the city of Warrenton, the county seat of Warren County. Jewells elevation is 420 feet. ...

Joel, Georgia

A post office called Joel was established in 1881, and remained in operation until 1904. Joel F. Yates, an early postmaster, gave the community his first name.

Johns Mountain

Johns Mountain is a summit in the U.S. state of Georgia. With an elevation of 1.683 feet, Johns Mountain is the 666th highest summit in the state of Georgia. The mountain is located inside the Chattahoochee-Oconee National Forest. Jones mountain ...

Johnstonville, Georgia

Johnstonville was founded in 1821, and served as temporary county seat. A post office called Johnstonville was established in 1839, and remained in operation until 1905. The community most likely was named after one of two Johnston family of pion ...

Johntown, Georgia

A post office called Johntown was established in 1879, and remained in operation until 1944. The community was named after John S. Holden, an early postmaster.

Jolly, Georgia

A post office called Jolly was established in 1887, and remained in operation until 1910. The community was so named for the "jolly" demeanor of its original inhabitants. A variant name is "Travelers Rest".

Jones Crossroads, Georgia

The community was named after Christopher Columbus Jones, the original owner of the town site. Previous variant names are "Palina", "Paulina" and "Union". General store of R. M. Jones, historic Country store is listed in the national register of ...

Jot Em Down Store, Georgia

Jot Em Down Store is an unincorporated community in Pierce County northwest of the county seat of Blackshear, Georgia, United States. It is part of the Waycross Micropolitan Statistical Area.

Juniper, Georgia

Juniper juu-nih-pər is an unincorporated community in Marion County, Georgia, United States. It lies along State Route 355 on the Talbot County line, to the north of the city of Buena Vista, the county seat of Marion County. Its elevation is 413 ...

Juno, Georgia

Juno is an unincorporated community in Dawson County, Georgia, United States. It lies along State Route 183 to the northwest of the city of Dawsonville, the county seat of Dawson County. Its elevation is 1.493 feet.

Kansas, Georgia

A post office called Kansas was established in 1876, and remained in operation until 1883. The community was named after Kansas Territory, a U.S. territory which existed from 1854 to 1861.

Keith, Georgia

A post office was established at Keith in 1881, and remained in operation until it was discontinued in 1907. Freeman L. Keith served as first postmaster in the community to which he added his name.

Keller, Georgia

Keller is a small unincorporated community located in southern Bryan County, Georgia, United States, east of Richmond Hill. Its boundaries are ill-defined, but the community could be said to be centered on the intersection of S.R. 144 and Belfast ...

Kensington, Georgia

A post office called Kensington was established in 1890, and remained in operation until it was discontinued in 1965. The community was named after Kensington, Pennsylvania. In Kensington there are three properties or districts that are listed on ...

Kibbee, Georgia

A post office called Kibbee was established in 1886, and remained in operation until 1976. The community most likely was named after Charles C. Kibbee, a local judge.

Kirkland, Georgia

A post office called Kirkland was established in 1875, and remained in operation until 1954. The community most likely was named after Timothy Kirkland, a local landholder, or after William Kirkland, a local merchant.

Laingkat, Georgia

Laingkat is an extinct town in Decatur County, in the U.S. state of Georgia. The GNIS classifies it as a populated place. A variant name is "Land Cat".

Lake Acworth

Lake Acworth is a 260-acre artificial lake southwest of the city of Acworth, Georgia. It is in the extreme northwestern part of Cobb County. The lake impounds Proctor Creek, and outflows into Lake Allatoona. The low dam is at the point where Stat ...

Lake Bulow Campbell

Lake Bulow Campbell is a artificial reservoir, 9.1 miles south of Covington, Georgia, United States. The lake is the primary body of water for BSA Atlanta Area Councils Bert Adams Scout Reservation. The stoppage of the flow of water that creates ...

Lake Claire, Atlanta

Lake Claire is a neighborhood on the east side of Atlanta, Georgia, United States, comprising approximately 1.200 homes. It is situated entirely in the DeKalb County side of the city, east of Candler Park, north of Kirkwood, west of Decatur, and ...

Lake Dorene

Lake Dorene is a reservoir in Polk County, in the U.S. state of Georgia. "Dorene" is a connected to the first names of two local women, Dorothy Reinhart and Irene Everett.

Lake Kedron

Lake Kedron is a 235-acre reservoir in Peachtree City, Georgia. It holds about 1 billion gallons on water. It is located on the north side of the city, within the village of Kedron. Recreational fishing is allowed with a license, but swimming is ...

Lake Murphy (Colquitt County, Georgia)

Murphy Lake is a lake at Moultrie in Colquitt County, Georgia, United States. Its surface area is 25 acres. This is the place for bass, channel catfish and bream fishing.

Lake Oconee

Lake Oconee is a reservoir in central Georgia, United States, on the Oconee River near Greensboro and Eatonton. It was created in 1979 when Georgia Power completed the construction of the Wallace Dam on the Oconee River. Lake Oconee runs through ...

Lake Tobesofkee

Lake Tobesofkee is a reservoir located on Tobesofkee Creek in Bibb County, Georgia. Built in the 1960s to control flooding, the lake soon became a site for public recreation and is known as one of the most heavily fished lakes in the state.

Lake Toccoa

Lake Toccoa is a reservoir in the U.S. state of Georgia, Stephens County, in the city of Toccoa. Toccoa comes from the Cherokee word "Tagwahĭ," meaning "Catawba" or "beautiful."

Lake Trahlyta

Lake Trahlyta is a reservoir in Union County, Georgia. The lake is located in Vogel State Park near Blairsville, Georgia which is one of the first two original state parks in the state of Georgia. The lake is named after Princess Trahlyta of the ...

Lake Yonah

Lake Yonah is a lake on the Tugaloo River, separating Georgia and South Carolina. The lake is created by the Yonah dam, which is owned and operated by Georgia power, and generates 22 megawatts. Lake Yonah is a residential lake with seventy-two va ...

Lakemont, Georgia

Lakemont is an unincorporated community in Rabun County, Georgia, United States, located in a mountainous area between U.S. Route 23/441 and Lake Rabun. Lakemont has a post office with ZIP code 30552. A post office named Lakemont was created in 1 ...

Lance Mountain (Georgia)

Lance Mountain is a summit in the U.S. state of Georgia. The elevation is 2.280 feet. Lance mountain is the name of lance Thomas, a pioneer settler.

Laney, Georgia

Laneys latitude is at 31.209 and its longitude is at -84.027. Its elevation rests at 351 feet. Laney appears on the Cotton U.S. Geological Survey Map. It is located at the intersection of Lake Pleasant Church Rad and Laney Road. Georgia Highway 9 ...

Lang, Georgia

A post office called Lang was established in 1887, and remained in operation until 1896. Benjamin F. Lang, an early postmaster, gave the community his last name.

Lanier, Georgia

Lanier is an unincorporated community in Bryan County, in the U.S. state of Georgia. It is located about 4 miles east of Pembroke, Georgia, where Georgia Route 204 ends at U.S. Route 280. There is a monument for J.O. Bacon at this intersection.