ⓘ Free online encyclopedia. Did you know? page 108

Monument Rocks (Kansas)

Monument Rocks are a series of large chalk formations in Gove County, Kansas, rich in fossils. The formations were the first landmark chosen by the US Department of the Interior as a National Natural Landmark. The chalk formations reach a height ...

Monument, Kansas

Established sometime in the latter half of the 19th century, it was originally called Monument Station as it served as a stop for the overland stage and for travelers moving westward through Fort Wallace.

Mooney Creek, Kansas

The first settler was said to be a man named Thomas Mooney, who arrived there not long after the Kansas territory was opened up for settlement in 1854. The first Catholic Church in the area, Corpus Christi, was founded as a mission parish in 1857 ...

Moore Township, Marion County, Kansas

The township contains the following cemeteries: Pankratz Cemetery, located in Section 3 T18S R1E. Durham Baptist Church Cemetery, located in Section 3 T18S R1E.

Moray, Kansas

The first settlement at Moray was made in 1857. It was originally built up chiefly by Norwegians. The first post office in Moray was established as Eastern Norway in 1871. Post office, renamed the seas in 1894, closed temporarily in 1914, reopene ...

Morlan Township, Graham County, Kansas

Morlan Township covers an area of 110.62 square miles 286.5 km 2 and contains no incorporated settlements. According to the USGS, it contains two cemeteries: Morlan Township and Redline.

Morrill Township, Brown County, Kansas

Morrill Township covers an area of 40.7 square miles 105 km 2 and contains one incorporated settlement, Morrill. The airport and eastern fringes of the city of Sabetha are also in Morrill Township. According to the USGS, it contains one cemetery, ...

Motor, Kansas

Motor was located three-quarters of a mile to the east of Codell. The town had two stores, a hotel and restaurant, a blacksmith shop, a wind driven grist mill and a saw mill. The Floreyville post office was moved to Motor and a school was establi ...

Mount Pleasant Township, Atchison County, Kansas

Mount Pleasant Township covers an area of 47.7 square miles 123.6 km 2 and contains no incorporated settlements. According to the USGS, it contains two cemeteries: Fairview and Round Mound. The streams of camp Creek, Crooked Creek and spring Cree ...

Munkers Creek

Munkers Creek is a 15-mile long stream in Morris County, Kansas and Wabaunsee County, Kansas, in the United States. It ends at Council Grove Reservoir. Munkers Creek was named for J. C. Munkers, a pioneer settler.

Murdock Township, Butler County, Kansas

Murdock Township was named for Thomas Benton Murdock, a native of Virginia who settled in Butler County. Anthony G. Davis is reported to be the first settler in Murdock Township, arriving in 1857. Other early settlers before 1870 included Mr. Gil ...

Neal, Kansas

Neal is an unincorporated community in eastern Greenwood County, Kansas, United States. It lies along U.S. Route 54 east of the city of Eureka, the county seat of Greenwood County. Its elevation is 961 feet, and it is located at 37°50′3″N 96°4′49 ...

Nekoma, Kansas

Nekoma is an unincorporated community in southwestern Rush County, Kansas, United States. It lies along K-96 southwest of the city of La Crosse, the county seat of Rush County. Its elevation is 2.037 feet, and it is located at 38°28′25″N 99°26′31 ...

Netawaka Township, Jackson County, Kansas

Netawaka Township was formerly occupied by the Kickapoo Tribe in Kansas, until they were removed to a reservation in Brown County. It was bought by the Union Pacific Railroad in 1870 and opened for settlement. Netawaka Township was formed in 1871 ...

New Almelo, Kansas

New Elam was issued a post office in 1879. The post office was renamed New Almelo in 1901, then discontinued in 1996. It is named in honor of the city Almelo in the Netherlands.

Newton Township, Harvey County, Kansas

Newton Township covers an area of 26.77 square miles 69.3 km 2 and contains two incorporated settlements: Newton the county seat and North Newton. According to the USGS, it contains two cemeteries: Greenwood and Saint Marys.

Nicodemus Township, Graham County, Kansas

Nicodemus Township covers an area of 32.33 square miles 83.7 km 2 and contains no incorporated settlements. According to the USGS, it contains two cemeteries: Mount Olive and Nicodemus. The streams of sand Creek and spring Creek run through this ...

Ninnescah Township, Cowley County, Kansas

Ninnescah Township covers an area of 35.81 square miles 92.7 km 2 and contains one incorporated settlement, Udall. According to the USGS, it contains two cemeteries: Ninnescah and Udall. The streams of Crooked Creek and Stewart Creek run through ...

Nippawalla Township, Barber County, Kansas

Nippawalla Township covers an area of 54.34 square miles 140.7 km 2 and contains no incorporated settlements. According to the USGS, it contains one cemetery, Liberty. The streams of brush Creek and Wilson Slough run through this township.

Nonchalanta, Kansas

Like many Kansas ghost towns, Nonchalanta grew and died over a span of just a few years. By 1885, the town was platted and named. Settlers arrived via covered wagon with the promise of free land and future railroad expansion through town. A churc ...

North Brown Township, Edwards County, Kansas

North Brown Township covers an area of 63.14 square miles 163.5 km 2 and contains no incorporated settlements. According to the USGS, it contains one cemetery, Trotter.

North Central Kansas

North Central Kansas is a tourism and geographical region of the state of Kansas. It consists of 15 counties, and has a population of over 150.000. The Salina micropolitan area is part of North Central Kansas. The region stretches from the Nebras ...

North Homestead Township, Barton County, Kansas

North Homestead Township covers an area of 35.68 square miles 92.4 km 2. The incorporated city of Hoisington sits on the townships southern border with South Homestead Township.

North Roscoe Township, Hodgeman County, Kansas

North Roscoe Township covers an area of 106.44 square miles 275.7 km 2 and contains no incorporated settlements. According to the USGS, it contains one cemetery, Kitterville. The streams of Cottonwood Creek, skeleton Creek, plum Creek sand Creek ...

Norton Township, Jefferson County, Kansas

Norton Township covers an area of 39.06 square miles 101.17 square kilometers, of this, 0.12 square miles 0.3 square kilometers or 0.3 percent is water. The streams of Howard Creek and Hulls Branch run through this township. The town contains thr ...

Oak Mills, Kansas

Oak Mills was located on the Missouri Pacific Railroad. A post office was opened at plum grove, an extinct community in 1862, but was moved to oak products in 1868 and remained in operation until it was discontinued in 1945.

Oak Valley Township, Elk County, Kansas

Oak Valley Township covers an area of 44.94 square miles 116.4 km 2 and contains no incorporated settlements. According to the USGS, it contains one cemetery, Oak Valley. The streams of bachelor Creek, bloody run, Hickory Creek, little Hickory Cr ...

Oak Valley, Kansas

A post office was opened at Oak Valley in 1875, and remained in operation until it was discontinued in 1954. Oak Valley was founded in 1879 when a settler built the first residential structure.

Oberlin Township, Decatur County, Kansas

Oberlin Township covers an area of 34.26 square miles 88.7 km 2 and contains one incorporated settlement, Oberlin the county seat. Flows in the North fork Sappa Creek South Fork Sappa Creek run through this township.

Ocheltree, Kansas

Ocheltree was laid out in 1867. It was named for W. A. Ocheltree, a member of the town company. The first post office in Ocheltree was established in December 1869.

Ogallah, Kansas

The climate in this area is characterized by hot, humid summers and generally mild to cool winters. According to the Koppen Climate Classification system, Ogallah has a humid subtropical climate, abbreviated "Cfa" on climate maps.

Olive Township, Decatur County, Kansas

Olive Township covers an area of 35.66 square miles 92.4 km 2 and contains no incorporated settlements. According to the USGS, it contains one cemetery, Vallonia. Flows of cotton Creek and Johnson draw to go through this town.

Omnia Township, Cowley County, Kansas

Omnia Township covers an area of 36.17 square miles 93.7 km 2 and contains one incorporated settlement, Atlanta. Flows of the Lower Dutch Creek, mud Creek, and upper Dutch Creek run through this township.

Orlando Township, Cheyenne County, Kansas

Orlando Township covers an area of 35.9 square miles 93 km 2 and contains no incorporated settlements. According to the USGS, it contains one cemetery, Wheeler.

Oronoque, Kansas

Virgil Vogel, in Indian Names in Michigan refers to Oronoque as a variant spelling of Orinoco, the name of a South American river that was adopted with various spellings in other states: Oronoko Charter Township, Michigan and Oronoco, Minnesota. ...

Oskaloosa Township, Jefferson County, Kansas

Oskaloosa Township covers an area of 57.61 square miles 149.21 square kilometers, of this, 0.1 square miles 0.25 square kilometers or 0.17 percent is water. The streams of Burr Oak Branch, Honey Creek and Little Buck Creek run through this townsh ...

Osro, Kansas

Osro is an unincorporated community in Chautauqua County, Kansas, United States. A post office in the County of Chautauqua called Ozro work from 1888-1892.

Otter Creek Township, Greenwood County, Kansas

Otter Creek Township covers an area of 112.78 square miles 292.1 km 2 and contains no incorporated settlements. According to the USGS, it contains two cemeteries: Pleasant View and Star. Streams North branch otter Creek, South branch otter Creek, ...

Otter Township, Cowley County, Kansas

Otter Township covers an area of 52.39 square miles 135.7 km 2 and contains no incorporated settlements. According to the USGS, it contains one cemetery, Cedar Creek. The flow Jim Creek, little beaver Creek, North cedar Creek, Shafer Creek and So ...

Ozawkie Township, Jefferson County, Kansas

Ozawkie Township covers an area of 42.78 square miles 110.79 square kilometers, of this, 5.45 square miles 14.11 square kilometers or 12.74 percent is water. The streams of Bowies Branch, Duck Creek, Fishpond Creek and French Creek run through th ...

Padonia, Kansas

The first settlement at Padonia was made in 1854. The community was named for Jesse Padon, a pioneer settler. A post office was established in Padonia in 1857, and remained in operation until it was discontinued in 1933.

Page City, Kansas

Page City was founded in 1884 as a depot on the Union Pacific Railroad. A post office was opened in 1887 to page, and remained in operation until it was discontinued in 1971.

Painterhood Township, Elk County, Kansas

Painterhood Township covers an area of 59.71 square miles 154.6 km 2 and contains no incorporated settlements. According to the USGS, it contains two cemeteries: Busby and Upola.

Parnell, Kansas

Parnell was platted in 1883. It was named for James L. Parnell, a member of the 13th Kansas Militia Infantry Regiment, who was killed in the Civil War. Parnell had a post office from 1883 until 1923.

Patterson, Kansas

Patterson is an unincorporated community in Harvey County, Kansas, United States. The community is located along a railroad line between Burrton and Bentley, but the track was removed in the 1990s or 2000s.

Pauline, Kansas

Pauline is an unincorporated community in Shawnee County, Kansas, United States. Located south of Topeka, it lies next to Forbes Field. It is occasionally seen as part of the South City Industry Park for Topeka with its many large businesses. Pau ...

Paw Township, Elk County, Kansas

Paw Township covers an area of 54.4 square miles 141 km 2 and contains no incorporated settlements. According to the USGS, it contains two cemeteries: Cresco and Pleasant View.

Pawnee Rock Township, Barton County, Kansas

Pawnee Rock Township is a township in Barton County, Kansas, United States. As of the 2010 census, its population was 373. Stone Pawnee town was organized in 1878.

Payne Township, Gove County, Kansas

Payne Township covers an area of 125.06 square miles 323.9 km 2 and contains one incorporated settlement, Park. According to the USGS, it contains one cemetery, Sacred Heart. The flow of East spring Creek and the North fork big Creek run through ...

Peck, Kansas

Peck is an unincorporated community on the Sedgwick County and Sumner County border in Kansas, United States. It is located at S Meridian Ave and W 119th St S, about 2 miles west of the Kansas Star Casino.