ⓘ Free online encyclopedia. Did you know? page 100

Fifield, Oxfordshire

Fifield is a village and civil parish about 4 miles north of Burford in Oxfordshire. The western boundary of the parish forms part of the county boundary with Gloucestershire. The 2011 Census recorded the parishs population as 240.

Filchampstead

Filchampstead is a hamlet within Cumnor Parish, Oxfordshire. Until the 1974 boundary changes it was in Berkshire. It lies on the Cumnor Road between Farmoor and Cumnor village, at the foot of a hill known locally as Tumbledown Dick. Filchampstead ...

Filkins and Broughton Poggs

Filkins and Broughton Poggs is a civil parish in West Oxfordshire, on the Oxfordshire county boundary with Gloucestershire. The parish includes the villages of Filkins and Broughton Poggs, which were separate civil parishes until they were merged ...

Forest Hill with Shotover

Forest Hill with Shotover is a civil parish covering 7.56km² of South Oxfordshire approximately centred 3 miles east of Oxford. Its population in 2011 was 856, almost exclusively in the villages of Forest Hill, hamlets of Shotover Cleve and Shoto ...

Frilford

Frilford is a hamlet and civil parish about 3 miles west of Abingdon, at the junction of the A415 and A338 roads. It lies in the traditional county of Berkshire, however since 1974 has been administered as part of Oxfordshire.

Fulscot

Fulscot is a hamlet in South Moreton civil parish in South Oxfordshire, about 0.5 miles west of the village. In 1974 it was transferred from Berkshire. Fulscot consists mainly of farmstead and several cottages on the road from South Moreton to th ...

Fulwell, Oxfordshire

Fulwell is a hamlet in Enstone civil parish about 4.5 miles southeast of Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire. Fulwells toponym is derived from its "foul well". The hamlet was part of the Manor of Spelsbury.

Gallowstree Common

Gallowstree Common is a hamlet in South Oxfordshire, England, about 4.5 miles north of Reading, Berkshire. The village has a public house, the reformation, controlled by the brakspear brewery. The village has two woods: the new grove North and si ...

Gosford and Water Eaton

Gosford and Water Eaton is a civil parish in the Cherwell district of the county of Oxfordshire, England. It is north of the city of Oxford and is crossed nearby by two major roads for, or by-passing, the city. The parish contains the village of ...

Gosford, Oxfordshire

Gosford is a village immediately southeast of Kidlington, Oxfordshire, England. It is in the civil parish of Gosford and Water Eaton. The 2011 Census recorded Gosford and Water Eatons parish population as 1.323.

Grafton and Radcot

Grafton and Radcot is a civil parish in West Oxfordshire. The parish includes the hamlets of Radcot on the River Thames and Grafton.

Grafton Lock

Grafton Lock is a lock on the River Thames in Oxfordshire, England. It is on the northern bank between Kelmscott and Radcot, about 1 mile south of the hamlet of Grafton. The lock was built by the Thames Conservancy in 1896. The dam is on the othe ...

Grafton, Oxfordshire

Grafton is a hamlet in the Thames Valley in West Oxfordshire, about 3 1 ⁄ 2 miles north of Faringdon. It is one of two hamlets in Grafton and Radcot civil parish. Grafton lock on the river Thames approximately 1 mile 1.6 km South of the village.

Great Rollright

The Mediaeval Church of England parish church of Saint Andrew has Norman, Early English, Decorated Gothic and Perpendicular Gothic features. St Andrews was restored in 1852 under the direction of the Oxford Diocesan Architect, GE Street. St Andre ...

Grimsbury Reservoir (Banbury)

Grimsbury Reservoir is a relatively small reservoir owned by Thames Water just off Hennef Way, near the Grimsbury estate of Banbury, Oxfordshire. Were built before 1947, the water tower, and was expanded in the early 1960s, when Grimsbury reservo ...

Grove Walk

Grove Walk is a short historic leafy walkway running north–south in central Oxford, England, situated on land between Merton College to the east and Corpus Christi College to the west. It provides one of the entrances to Christ Church Meadow from ...

Hampton Gay and Poyle

Hampton Gay and Poyle is a civil parish in Oxfordshire, England. It was formed in 1932 by merger of the parishes of Hampton Gay and Hampton Poyle and as at 2011 had 141 residents across 6.11 km²

Hanborough

Hanborough is a civil parish in West Oxfordshire. The parish includes the villages of Church Hanborough and Long Hanborough. The village of Freeland was transferred from Eynsham civil parish to Hanborough in 1932 and then detached to form a separ ...

Hardwick with Tusmore

Hardwick with Tusmore is a civil parish in Oxfordshire, England. It was formed in 1932 by merger of the parishes of Hardwick and Tusmore.

Hardwick-with-Yelford

Hardwick-with-Yelford is a civil parish in West Oxfordshire. The parish includes the villages of Hardwick and Yelford. It was formed in 1932 from the parish of Yelford, most of the parish of Hardwick, and parts of the parishes of Ducklington and ...

Hardwick, West Oxfordshire

Hardwick is a village in the civil parish of Hardwick-with-Yelford in West Oxfordshire. The village is on the A315 road about 2.5 miles southeast of Witney. It lies on the River Windrush. Hardwick was historically a hamlet or Jamaica in the Ancie ...

Hempton, Oxfordshire

Hempton is a village in Deddington civil parish about 5 miles south of Banbury in Oxfordshire. HAMPTON on the B4031 road between Deddington and Chipping Norton, which was a barrier from 1770 until 1871.

Henley Park

Henley Park is a country house and landscape garden in Bix and Assendon civil parish in the Chiltern Hills of South Oxfordshire, England. The house is about 1.5 miles north of Henley-on-Thames. The park adjoins the county boundary with Buckingham ...

Henwood

Henwood is a hamlet about 3.5 miles south-west of Oxford, England. Henwood is in Wootton civil parish in the Vale of White Horse District. Historically, henwood was the same farm, in the parish of Cumnor until Wootton was created as a separate pa ...

Heythrop

Heythrop is a village and civil parish just over 2 miles east of Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire. The parish includes the hamlet of Dunthrop. The 2001 Census recorded the parish population as 93.

Hinksey Hill

Hinksey Hill is a hill and residential area 2 miles south of the centre of Oxford. It is in South Hinksey civil parish, about 0.5 miles south of the village. Hinksey Hill was part of Berkshire until the 1974 boundary changes transferred it to Oxf ...

Holwell, Oxfordshire

Holwell is a village and civil parish about 2 miles south of Burford in West Oxfordshire. The 2001 Census recorded the parishs population as 17.

Jowett Walk

Jowett Walk is a road in central Oxford, England. It connects Mansfield Road to the west with St Cross Road to the east, running parallel with and north of Holywell Street. The road was used to be called love and used to continue North on South p ...

Kencot, Oxfordshire

Kencot is a village and civil parish about 2 miles southwest of Carterton in West Oxfordshire. The 2011 Census recorded the parishs population as 101.

Kidmore End

Kidmore End is a village and civil parish in South Oxfordshire, centred 6 miles NNW of Reading, Berkshire, an important regional centre of commerce, research and engineering. It is in the low Chiltern Hills, partly in the Area of Outstanding Natu ...

Kingston Bagpuize with Southmoor

Kingston Bagpuize with Southmoor is a civil parish in the English county of Oxfordshire, England. The two principal settlements in the parish are the adjacent villages of Kingston Bagpuize and Southmoor. The parish extends north of the villages t ...

Kingston Blount

Kingston Blount is a village about 4 miles southeast of Thame in South Oxfordshire, England. The village is a spring line settlement at the foot of the Chiltern Hills escarpment. The ancient pre-Roman Ridgeway and Icknield Way pass through the pa ...

Lidstone

Lidstone is a hamlet on the River Glyme in Oxfordshire, about 3 miles east of Chipping Norton. The hamlet is in Enstone civil parish, about 1 ⁄ 4 miles west of Neat Enstone.

Little Coxwell

Little Coxwell is a village and civil parish in South East England, about 1.5 miles south of Faringdon and 0.8 miles east of Great Coxwell. Little Coxwell was part of Berkshire until the 1974 local government boundary changes transferred the Vale ...

Little Milton, Oxfordshire

Little Milton is a village and civil parish in Oxfordshire, about 6 miles southwest of Thame and 7 miles southeast of Oxford. The parish is bounded on the West by the river Thame to the South Haseley brook tributary of the Thame to the North of t ...

Little Rollright

Little Rollright is a hamlet in the civil parish of Rollright, Oxfordshire, about 3 miles northwest of Chipping Norton. It is the village nearest to the megalithic Rollright Stones. Little following in Kingham, enstone following the and ward West ...

Lock Wood Island

Lock Wood Island is an island in the River Thames in England just downstream of Nuneham House on the reach above Abingdon Lock. The island is located on a steep bend in the river. It is densely covered with tall trees and has a narrow channel beh ...

Lockinge Estate

The Lockinge Estate is 3035 hectare agricultural and housing estate near Wantage that today includes most of the land and property encompassing the villages of West Lockinge, East Lockinge and Ardington. The current manager of the Lockinge Estate ...

Lower Assendon

Lower Assendon is a village in the Assendon valley in the Chiltern Hills, about 1.5 miles northwest of Henley-on-Thames in South Oxfordshire, England. The road between Henley and Wallingford passes by the village. It was made into a turnpike in 1 ...

Lyneham, Oxfordshire

Lyneham is a village and civil parish about 5 miles southwest of Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire. It is bounded to the southwest by the River Evenlode, to the southeast by the A361 road linking Chipping Norton and Burford, and on other sides by fiel ...

Madley Park

Madley Park is a district on Madley Brook, a small tributary of the River Windrush in Witney, Oxfordshire. It comprises housing, schools and a community centre.

Magpie Lane, Oxford

Magpie Lane is a narrow historic lane in central Oxford, England. It leads south from the High Street where it is at its narrowest, now completely pedestrianised as a pavement, and north from the cobbled Merton Street. In the West, Oriel College, ...

Maidensgrove

Maidensgrove is a hamlet above the Stonor valley in the Chiltern Hills, adjacent to Russells Water common. It is about 5 miles northwest of Henley-on-Thames in South Oxfordshire, England. There is a 16th century public house called the Five horse ...

Middle Assendon

Middle Assendon is a village in the Stonor valley in the Chiltern Hills. It is about 2 miles northwest of Henley-on-Thames in South Oxfordshire, England. In the village there is a public flat, rainbow INN.

Milton-under-Wychwood

Milton-under-Wychwood is a village and civil parish about 4 miles north of Burford, Oxfordshire, just off the A361 road between Burford and Chipping Norton. The 2011 Census recorded the parishs population as 1.648.

Milton, Cherwell

Milton is a village and civil parish about 2.5 miles south of Banbury in Oxfordshire, on the Milton road between the villages of Adderbury and Bloxham. The former Banbury and Cheltenham Direct Railway, part of the Great Western Railway, was compl ...

Murcott, Oxfordshire

Murcott is a village between the River Ray and Otmoor in the civil parish of Fencott and Murcott, about 4 miles south of Bicester in Oxfordshire, England.

Nags Head Island

Nags Head Island is an island in the River Thames in England at Abingdon. It sits in the middle of the two Abingdon Bridges on the reach above Culham Lock. Part of the island on the upstream side of the bridge is the Nags head public house, which ...

Newnham Murren

Newnham Murren is a hamlet in the Thames Valley in South Oxfordshire, about 0.5 miles east of the market town of Wallingford. Newnham Murren is in the civil parish of Crowmarsh and is now contiguous with the village of Crowmarsh Gifford.

Newton Purcell with Shelswell

Newton Purcell with Shelswell is a civil parish in Oxfordshire, England. It was formed in 1932 by merger of the parishes of Newton Purcell and Shelswell.